Battle of Britain 'Online' Map WIP

I like your idea, JAMF - I might give it a try.

Do any RAF experts know if the RAF used any method for marking out grass strips during the Battle of Britain? Did they just let the pilots use their eyes? Stake sheets along the length? Use lights?

Thanks Smile

As long as you provide some way of defining the corners of the landing area, why not let the mission builders worry about lining the strips? Some might want to line it with flare pots (airfield campfires) and others might use lights or those colored panel markers. All they need is for you to show where the corners of the field are. JAMF is right though. any sod strip would have fairly well defined wear marks in the touch down areas at each end.

Beautiful work, by the way. :wink:

canonuk Wrote:I like your idea, JAMF - I might give it a try.

Do any RAF experts know if the RAF used any method for marking out grass strips during the Battle of Britain? Did they just let the pilots use their eyes? Stake sheets along the length? Use lights?

Thanks Smile

Hell yeah they did. They used black ground and spread it in lines over some airfields.
I got some pics of that, which i will send over here later.

An aerial photograph taken on 11-JUL-1942 showing the early layout of Westonzoyland airfield. A camouflage pattern of imitation field boundaries has been painted on to the main airfield area in order to disguise it from the air.

[Image: Airfield_1942.jpg]

But also RAF hornchurch was covered up with these paterns during the Battle of Britain.

Bump for the pics :wink:

ive driven past that place. ITS HUGE! absoloutly mind boggling. i bet if you put 2 B29's landing head to head on the sam runway they'd have loads of room left

I'll post pics in a few days. I'm moving home tomorrow so I'll be offline a while, but I hope to be up and running come the weekend... fingers crossed!

Good luck with the move m8. I hate moving house. So much to do :?

Excellent work there!! Amazed by them 'White Cliffs'! Smile

waiting for finaly a great Battle of Britain Map is terable. Good luck on the progress

Indeed! This waiting is getting worst than waiting for BoB! I don't know if having update si sbetter jajaja, I am dying to gte this map!

Ok, bit of an update. I've been offline the last week whilst we moved home, but I took the time to work on my map. I'm busy populating London, getting some of the landmarks in place as best I can, given the limited choice of objects in the game.

Certainly is fun protecting the docks from Heinkels!

[Image: london1.jpg]

[Image: london2.jpg]

[Image: london3.jpg]

[Image: london4.jpg]

If anyone has any ideas on how to build some of the landmarks by combining existing objects, let me know Smile

Joe

Incredibile ! Confusedhock:

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
Beautiful Big Grin

great looking River Thames and docks :lol: