Battle of France Map - Part 2 - WIP

Looks nice. Check out this thread I made for a technique that we can do to make orchards, etc:

viewtopic.php?t=3395

I used palm trees for a coconut plantation, but you could use one of the single european trees and make it an orchard for France.

tater

St Omer Airfield -- prior to the Luftwaffe development.

[Image: Untitled-5.jpg]

WOW! I am really looking forward to this one of the best looking maps! Really nice map! Tongue

Which St Omer is it, asheshouse? St Omer Fort Rouge or St Omer Longenuese?

it's pity you're using those ugly plates, i think without them, it would look nicer, you cal allways mark runway with sth else (look at slovakia or cyrenaica map), or maybe reskin those plates, so they look more like texture which is under them, so you can still se where is runway and where not, but there isnt so much contrast between runway and surroundig ground..imho...

The normal grass ground plates are not too bad......I think we are all just bored with the normal configuration of them....something which the map makers are trying to avoid by making each airfield unique

the actual strip was obviously tended to make it as smooth as possible....did they use any big rollers or anything??

Looks great. I worry though about those Forest=2 trees that become invisible on Perfect settings.
If you rely on them too much for detailing, the Forest=3 result will appear quite plain. Not to mention all the phantom collisions... Smile

the random trees are not collideable...because they only appear depending upon your graphic settings

otherwise it WOULD be annoying to crash into something not visible...lol

canonuk Wrote:Which St Omer is it, asheshouse? St Omer Fort Rouge or St Omer Longenuese?

This one is Longeneuse, or St Omer-Bruyeres (south of St Omer) as it is called on my info. From memory the other one was not completed in time for May1940 (need to check that).

The perimeter is shown as an approx irregular T on the map so I have assumed two runways, but one is a short runway so there are problems with AI using the short one for landing. The landing marks are too far out.

Bee Wrote:Looks great. I worry though about those Forest=2 trees that become invisible on Perfect settings.
If you rely on them too much for detailing, the Forest=3 result will appear quite plain. Not to mention all the phantom collisions... Smile

?? Bee please coul you explain better? what this means? is this also for 4.09b OR is this referred only for 4.08? I've conf.ini forest2 then it means that till now I've played WITHOUT some ehinanced trees?

When AEP came out, a new option in your config.ini became available. It is called Forest= 3 and is at the bottom of the config. It gives you realistic looking trees that move in the breeze and populate towns and cities. You really didn't know about it?

Actually I only found out about it after 4.09beta came out when jurinko mentioned it. It looks really really good - so much more realistic and natural. The problem is though, the FMB object which consists of a row of small trees is invisible if you use this setting! To make it even worse, it's still there so you can hit it! i discovered this partway through teh RAF France project i was working on. Unfortunately now some of teh airfields that were once surrounded by woodland are now really sparse (for users of Forest=3). However, the main airstrip looks waaaay better now.
This first picture shows you the usual trees.
[Image: duck.jpg]

The following shots show the same area under Forest=3
[Image: trees32.jpg]
[Image: trees3.jpg]

Trouble is, those rows of trees are handy but they stick out in the landscape the same way CFS3 ones do. Sort of damned either way I guess.

But on Forest=2 I get both the row of trees and the random trees :?

Correct. I think the dynamic trees also appear more, plus in towns etc. with =3