Battle of Britain 'Online' Map WIP

WONDERFUL!!! With new Spit MkI and DCG this will make for hours of great online play. My squaddies will love you!!

We could even do "Operation Sealion" after we completely decimate the British forces!!

Truely amazing cannon! Ill be checking this thread daily for your progress.

Thank you so much for your hard work.

FK

Hey Fay,

The new MkI Spit has been part of the reason the map isn't finished yet - I keep getting distracted when I'm 'testing' a new airfield or city, and have to fly a mission or three Smile

Ashes: Any info you have would be appreciated, especially the location and pictures of the lightships

Joe

Here are my references on lighthouses.

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/engs.htm

This gives a list of all the lights on the south coast.
If you scroll back on this site you will find a link to a similar list of the North Sea Coast.
I dont know how far you need to go in each direction.

Trinity House have a gallery of pictures here http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/interacti ... index.html

I would suggest that you definitely do Beachy Head Light --- everyone knows it. (slight exageration) but its a good landmark in the centre of the battle area.

The Needles Light on Isle of Wight is also a good scenic site.
Dungeness is also very prominent.

-----------------------

This is another lighthouse guide sorted by county which may be useful
http://www.michaelmillichamp.ukgateway.net/page2.html

Just a text list it description no photos

I notice looking at the lighthouses that many of the photos have helicopter pads on the top.
These are of course post war features.

------------------------
Lightships

http://www.feuerschiffseite.de/u-englgb.htm

Photos of typical british light vessels on this page.

I think there were 3 on the Goodwin Sands - east of Kent
Also a number in the Thames at the Medway.

They are very noticeable because of the colour so may be desirable to include as visual navigation aid.

This is a location map for the Goodwin Sands Lightships
http://www.whitecliffscountry.org.uk/he ... odwins.gif

Good Lightship images here
http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/TrinityHouse_Lightships.html

I also have a number of references for Solent Forts which mounted AA guns in WWII if you want them. There were also sea forts in the Thames but I think they were built after BoB.

Have you approached one of the modders and asked for a searchlight hack to function as a light house? Shouldn't be too hard to do that, right?

Zorin Wrote:Have you approached one of the modders and asked for a searchlight hack to function as a light house? Shouldn't be too hard to do that, right?
Who knows how hard can it be, being they have IA and all(they search and lock bomber...) But it would be SOOO COOOL.

Baco1170 Wrote:
Zorin Wrote:Have you approached one of the modders and asked for a searchlight hack to function as a light house? Shouldn't be too hard to do that, right?
Who knows how hard can it be, being they have IA and all(they search and lock bomber...) But it would be SOOO COOOL.

This is pure guesswork, but it wouldn't need any of the AI routines for target tracking as it would simply be set to "always on" as soon as the ToD reaches a certain value. The only problem I see is having it rotate around an axis. Eventhough the vehicles can do that. Guess it is up to the modding gurus to trick this out.

I think I've read somewhere that the lighthouses were turned off as part of the blackout measures, so it may not be accurate to have them showing lights.

Nope.. not all the time. Lighthouses would remain off, but would be put on when allied convoys or shipping was expected to pass their vicinity.

btw: am i blind or duxford is missing :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:

Duxford isn't on this map - it's too far north for the area I'm covering.

Fay King Wrote:WONDERFUL!!! With new Spit MkI and DCG this will make for hours of great online play. My squaddies will love you!!

There is an Issue with the DCG and New AC slots that I am trying to work out. Seems that yes, the AC installer added the Mk I Spit as a new Aircraft!

However programs like, QuickMissionTuner, and DynamicCampaignGenerator don't simply read what A/C you have in IL-2.

It is going to need to be added to those Programs in order to use this Aircraft with QMT & DCG.

with QMT you can edit the files yourself to make a/c flyable...and maybe to add them too :wink:

Dixiecapt Wrote:
Fay King Wrote:WONDERFUL!!! With new Spit MkI and DCG this will make for hours of great online play. My squaddies will love you!!

There is an Issue with the DCG and New AC slots that I am trying to work out. Seems that yes, the AC installer added the Mk I Spit as a new Aircraft!

However programs like, QuickMissionTuner, and DynamicCampaignGenerator don't simply read what A/C you have in IL-2.

It is going to need to be added to those Programs in order to use this Aircraft with QMT & DCG.

Way to rain on my parade! :lol: Im sure we wont see much support from the DCG author(s) on this either. No matter really, I will just have to build all the missions by hand. The great thing about this is, I wont have to add many, if any static objects at all! It would seem that cannon's map is going to be everything that I need for these types of missions....excluding AAA of course. Big Grin

Perhaps one day the author(s) of the DCG will see the light.

Fay King Wrote:The great thing about this is, I wont have to add many, if any static objects at all! It would seem that cannon's map is going to be everything that I need for these types of missions....excluding AAA of course. Big Grin

Well, you certainly won't have to add anything to the airfields - they've been meticulously researched. I've got the major landmarks of the big cities and harbours/docks. The rest of the cities may look a little sparsely populated but thats so that a) I don't kill the FPS (especially on my old PC) and b) I actually get round to releasing the map. Mission makers can always populate a target city in FMB if they need to Smile

Joe

Fay King Wrote:There is an Issue with the DCG and New AC slots that I am trying to work out. Seems that yes, the AC installer added the Mk I Spit as a new Aircraft!

If it's in game, it should be able to be added to DCG as it's a table based layout for planes and squadrons. If I can get the Mk.I to work sometime soon, I'll fool with it some as I've got a pretty good understanding as to how DCG works.

In the meantime, did you try to make a new squadron...a generic RAF one...and see if you could get it to show up that way?