Land elevation ??

Hello map modder Gurus!

Is it possible to fetch and publish land elevation information in meters from sea level from maps ?

I occasionally fly as a bomber and like to do the bombing manually using correct speed & angle for drop and there it is sometimes difficult to know the terrain altitude. If you want to hit a small target from high alts by level bombing that information is crucial.

If you are using the FMB+ ...then when moving the compass rose over an area of ground ...you will get info on the height too

[Image: 1105200811-31-21.jpg]

Thanks - I know it can be fetched even using "standard" FMB but I am interested if it is possible to "publish" e.g. elevation maps for bomber pilots per each map. Targets are not always at the same location and the need is different case by case.

I'm a bomber too. Diving attacks can be made after sight, but there's a problem with level bombing. Can't be solved with the maps itself, i think, exept maybe with very, very small ones in a printable version. What we needed is a tool that reads map_h at the position of the crosshairs of the bomb sight and calculates the aims hight over ground. The cracks here can do nearly everything, but this will be impossible, i'm afraid. But it also should be possible to calculate the hight over ground of the aim with some trigonometry. You know your own hight and the angle of sight to the aim. So you should be able to calculate the hight of aim. If you got it, please post the algorithm and a bombing table. And now you know why there where the math lessons at school ,-)

Well that sounds a bit too arcade for me.

I would be happy to get some sort of elevation info into maps, which is nowdays totally missing from them. Actually it doesn't need to be available within the game - you can study your target area beforehand too e.g. from paper/electronic maps and then adjust your bombsight altitude based on that.

I wonder if theres any scale to the contour lines shown on some of the maps , or if they're just there for show.

I've never seen a reference to them anywhere.