WIP News from Philippines

if you mapC is 150m/pixel...then you got 450km from 3000 pixels

my Thai map is 14272x14784 @ 75m/pixel in mapC = 1,070km x 1,108km

...but yes...the med map is smaller than yours at 1:4 size ..and still playable...so go ahead Big Grin

Map size is a difficult choice, but I would concentrate on choosing an area where combat actually took place- no point in spending umpteen hours of work on detailing an area which was a backwater and won't see any action. If I were doing a Philippines map, I'd probably leave Palawan out, for instance. The most important areas are Luzon, Leyte and Mindanao, but you'd probably have to make two separate maps, perhaps even three for a 1:1 map, unless a Bright Spark manages to discover how to remove the IL2 engine's size limit.
I have already looked at a Borneo map, but given IL2's map size limit plus Microdem's restriction on DEM size, this needs at least two maps to cover KNIL activities- possibly three: one for West Borneo activities (KNIL air attacks from Singkawang II against Japanese invasion convoys for Miri and Kuching) and one, though probably two, North/East Borneo maps to cover KNIL air attacks from Samarinda II against invasion convoys for Miri, Tarakan and Balikpapan plus air defence of Tarakan.
Map scale choice is YOUR call- YOU are making the map.

fabianfred Wrote:if you mapC is 150m/pixel...then you got 450km from 3000 pixels

of course you're right :oops:

GerritJ9 Wrote:... unless a Bright Spark manages to discover how to remove the IL2 engine's size limit.
I have already looked at a Borneo map, but given IL2's map size limit plus Microdem's restriction on DEM size, this needs at least two maps to cover KNIL activities- possibly three...

in fact for me, this is most a limitation with CMap Tool... above some sizes it gives a valid map_c.tga.table but a non valid map_c.tga of 1K... so you can't use it and you have to choose a smaller size... unfortunately !

some time ago i tried making an Okinawa & Japan map...but after the first go i couldn't open it any more...just CTD

so i just made a new one at 1:2 scale......map C is 14336x13440 @100m/pixel

looks great though... Tokyo must have copped a Nuke

[Image: 0406200817-54-34.jpg]

a distant vision... Fuji san

[Image: 0406200817-54-56.jpg]

[Image: 0406200818-03-58.jpg]

[Image: 0406200818-06-06.jpg]

I think when you choose to make a 1:2 or 1:3 scale map, you have to lower terrain in map_H in order to keep a good ratio between distances and heights.

That's what I did with Philippines by lowering luminosity in map_H.

I don't know the good ratio, is it - 50% for a 1:2 scale map, - 66% for 1:3 ???

I'm not sure, so I made it... upon my taste...

I like to give an overall dose of gaussian blur to the map_H ....about 0.3%....it helps reduce the jaggedness of some peaks Big Grin