Poll: Choose Team Pacific's new project. - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Rabaul w/Bougainville
26.09%
26.09%
Rabaul w/New Guinea
26.52%
26.52%
New Guinea
6.52%
6.52%
Leyte Gulf
19.57%
19.57%
Burma
10.00%
10.00%
Marshalls
3.91%
3.91%
Admiralty Islands
2.17%
2.17%
Others?
5.22%
5.22%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Choose Team Pacific's next project

I vote for Rabaul since you're already on the Pacific islands theme.
However, I wouldn't mind if you took over my Burma map project. I'm just a newbie at map-making so I'd rather have Burma done by pros.

A final decision made yet?

at the moment, i think we are leaning towards the left flank of the "elkton plan" from operation Cartwheel, seeing how we already did the right flank (the slot)

[Image: p_033at.jpg]
[Image: p_033bt.jpg]

those pics didn't turn out well, here's another. Operation I, II, and III, basicly. we already did A,B, & C.

[Image: USA-P-Strategy-III.jpg]

T Wrote:. Operation I, II, and III, basicly. we already did A,B, & C.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go as far North as Wewak/ Hollandia.
The Milne bay area is already mapped out in the exisitng Pacific Fighters map, but the important air battles in and around the Northeastern coast of New Guinea (Lae/Salamaua/Wewak/Hollandia) would essentially complete the PTO as far as USAAF/ RAAF /RNZAF ops are concerned. The big naval air battles (Coral Sea/ Guadalcanal/ Midway) are already present. We badly need a more complete New Guinea area, at some future date The Philipines/ Formosa would give us the most complete PTO map EVER.
PLEASE GIVE US A BETTER NEW GUINEA.

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the determining factors for us is the size of the map_c (no larger than The Slot), and trying to get all the important locales into the map.

If we go north far enough to include Wewak and Hollandia we lose Port Moresby, which admittedly is included in the default PF map.

The overriding requirement, at least from my perspective, is to get all of New Britain, Green Island and as much of New Guinea as possible.

FA_Cheech Wrote:One of the determining factors for us is the size of the map_c (no larger than The Slot), and trying to get all the important locales into the map.

If we go north far enough to include Wewak and Hollandia we lose Port Moresby, which admittedly is included in the default PF map.

The overriding requirement, at least from my perspective, is to get all of New Britain, Green Island and as much of New Guinea as possible.

Cheech,
Understood RE: New Britain (Rabaul is crucial) and even Green, but Moresby is almost irrelevent from a combat perspective after 12/43. At that point VAAF was conducting most of it's combat operations out of Dobodura and Buna after it's capture so, as I at least see it, we lose little if Moresby is no longer contiguous. Early war scenarios could still be flown on the PF map.
Leaving Wewak, etc. out just to keep Moresby means sharply limiting the scope of operations up the New Guinea coast after such time as the bulk of air operations were no longer originating out of Moresby.
Would it not be possible to execute a map with coordinates: South as far as Salamaua, North to Wewak, (or even Aitape), East to Kavieng, South to Rabaul? Even if Hollandia were sacrificed,
that's still a hell of a busy playground-
I'm just saying- 8)

The Marshall Islands would be good for a Central Pacific Campaign as a historical progression after Tarawa and Makin.

Sumatra would let you involve the British Far East Fleet with its attacks on Sabang Island and the Palembang Oil fields and refineries. Even the joint operation of HMS Illustrious and USS Saratoga in the Indian Ocean attacking Sumatra.

my $.02

-)-MAILMAN-

Big_yamato is already working on a West Java map which will include South Sumatra; see topic "Interest in NEI maps?". In addition to the Eastern Fleet's attacks on the Palembang refineries, it will also cover the required area for the defence of West Java in February-March 1942 (the REAL reason it's being made Big Grin ).
Northern Sumatra can't be included for map size reasons- the Slot is, I think, pretty much the maximum size IL2 will allow, although theoretically there is no limit to the size of map one can make. Big_yamato's WJ map is only slightly smaller in area than the Slot.

I started on a Central Burma map but I'm not sure if it will ever get finished. I'd rather have someone else do Burma...Someone who is more experienced and could do a much better job than I could. I really just don't have the time, know-how, and patience to do it right. Burma deserves much better. Anyone want to take up the challenge?

Yes BETTER NEW GUINEA. Owen Stanley Mtns. Maybe someone could just re-do the
exhisting PNG. No need for you guys to get involved. You've got biggier fish to fry.
Thanx for you diligent efforts and hard work.

Been away for some weeks, any news?

Most of us are taking the summer off away from making maps. We discuss and work on stuff off and on, but fear not, we will be back with a bang.

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC

Thanks for the info Smile

Rabaul (with green island off to the side) Big Grin