Problems with the CMap tool

The CMap tool and I are not very good friends. For some reason the dissect function sometimes returns a very small and errornous newMWmap.c tga file (1K) when converting. It seemingly depends on the original size of the map_c.tga file. Has anybody had these issues too?

This map (12000x9856) converts OK, whereas this map (11328x9856) does not.

I know the maps are quite large but what's really confusing is that it's the smaller one that fails.

Any suggestions? Anybody seen this before?

If someone has a description of the algorthm used to generate the compressed and converted map_c.tga and map_c.tga_table files, I'd be happy to have a shot at building an application.

TIA

I did have a problem with my mapC tool last month after doing a Java update..... I wasn't able to disect or compose or anything until I uninstalled the update :?

have you tried using the Transform tool before disecting?

fabianfred Wrote:I did have a problem with my mapC tool last month after doing a Java update..... I wasn't able to disect or compose or anything until I uninstalled the update :?

have you tried using the Transform tool before disecting?

Yes, I've tried using the Transform tool first, no luck Sad

On the Java issue, I read your message and did a de-install of the latest version and installed an older version, no luck there either Sad

Thnx for your suggestions.

Problem is probably that the second map is too big for the map_c tool to handle, but this can be solved- see topic "MapC tool for large files!!! solution" on page 5: viewtopic.php?t=3811

GerritJ9 Wrote:Problem is probably that the second map is too big for the map_c tool to handle, but this can be solved- see topic "MapC tool for large files!!! solution" on page 5: viewtopic.php?t=3811

Thnx for your reply.

Tried changing the heapsize too (also tried 1536M), still no luck Sad

Note, the funny thing is that it is the LARGER map that works and the smaller one that fails so I doubt it's a filesize issue. Also to consider is the fact that they are more or less identical in landmass vs sea (both 1:1 of Denmark and parts of surrounding countries).

One thing I have noticed is the the map that works has an odd number of 32 pixel chunks in the width (12000/32 = 375) whereas the (smaller) on that fails has an even number of 32 pixel chunks (11328/32 = 354) ..... hmmm, picket fencing maybe?

It is not only the size of the map_C which can cause a failure...but the relative complexity...especially where there are many rivers or a very corrugated coastline

do try to increase contrast so you have less gray areas present .... (that fixed it for me)

regards
Z

Thnx to all with their suggestions and advice Big Grin

I dove into the deeper workings of the raw and dissected .tga and .tga_table files this afternoon and have found out how they are made and interact. I'll be rolling my own application which hopefully will be up and running during next week, I think this way is, if not faster, then at least very interesting.

When done it will of course be made available to the rest of the gang.

As mentioned, hopefully during next week (no, no 2 weeks jokes please :wink: )

BTW That's a fantastic sig you have fly_zo, has me mesmerized for about 5 to 10 minutes every time I see it, especially the Navy girl 8)

Redwulf__32 Wrote:BTW That's a fantastic sig you have fly_zo, has me mesmerized for about 5 to 10 minutes every time I see it, especially the Navy girl 8)

I bet you don't even look at her face....lol

My map_c is always just Black and White ...no grey on it at all (I thought mapC was just to define the areas of Land/water)
do grey areas give shallows in the sea?

fabianfred Wrote:
Redwulf__32 Wrote:BTW That's a fantastic sig you have fly_zo, has me mesmerized for about 5 to 10 minutes every time I see it, especially the Navy girl 8)

I bet you don't even look at her face....lol

My map_c is always just Black and White ...no grey on it at all (I thought mapC was just to define the areas of Land/water)
do grey areas give shallows in the sea?

yup, and tab_flettener managed to manipulate with random trees ( gray on map_c) on his modded ardennes map ( if i remember it correctly ...) ... didn't test that myself though

i'm keeping my map_C strictly black and white apart from slightly blurred coast and river lines just because of map_C tool

cheers
Z
p.s. i too have problem looking at my own sig ....still after two years :wink:

Redwulf__32 Wrote:I dove into the deeper workings of the raw and dissected .tga and .tga_table files this afternoon and have found out how they are made and interact. I'll be rolling my own application which hopefully will be up and running during next week, I think this way is, if not faster, then at least very interesting.

When done it will of course be made available to the rest of the gang.

First (limited) incarnation ready. fly_zo, check your PM, I've put a link up there to let you check it out.

Redwulf__32 Wrote:First (limited) incarnation ready. fly_zo, check your PM, I've put a link up there to let you check it out.

replied ...

regards
Z