West African Stalingrad Map

I've been playing around with the Stalingrad map, and it occurred to me that it had evrything you need for african terrain - wide flat areas, hill country, sprawling river deltas etc. So I started modding it.

Welcome to Zimbotho, a british protectorate since 1920 and a former german colony. There's two airbases, some local airports, and airstrips littering the remote regions. There's also a large open cast mine, a fuel refinery, a 'death island', and so forth.

So let me tempt you with these reconnaisance photo's....

1 - RAF Kunanda, the main airbase in the region

2 - RAF Rulembe - a station out in the northeastern back country used for training and border security detail.

3 - The Old Fort. Border security in colonial days has left these dry ruins, and next to it, a typical airstrip using sections of road.

4 - Spanish Fort, left over from the slavery era and employed in colonial times as a notorious prison - I understand the area is being renovated to some of its former.. erm... glory...

It might not be a historical map, but it has all the elements (other than herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the horizon Smile ) I would expect of an african nation, and such places were used as waypoints for allied aeroplanes heading to India and Far East. Stalingrad never looked so tropical! This isn't a high priority project unless you guys really do want this, but I'm having fun with it.

Please some more screenshots (perhaps of the "wildcountry" regions too), it looks promising Big Grin

Absolutelly mate, you can

Cool. With this we could feel the taste of tropical war.

Excellent, I really want it!! Maybe for some post wat 3d world war??

Looks nice.

Maybe you could keep the planes on it to biplanes and those old open cockpit bombers,tb3 or db3 I can't remember. Maybe have some AA outside the usual air base locations, maybe along the red/blue dividing line, and make it lots of 7.62 maxims or small 20mm AA

Can we bomb the Spanish fort?

Looks very nice indeed. And it sounds like a map to use for Spanish Civil War scenarios ... something that has always seemingly been lacking in IL2 ...

Go for it ... very promising idea.

Well there is a Spian map being made If I am not mistaken. Buyt I am sure its acomplicated and lots of work map, due to the very populated areas of Spain and the diversity of terrein.

I really hope they keep at it and finish it, I was raised in spain and I would sure love to be able to fly in it. Beisdes Il-2 Sturmovik is very popular in Spain and there are a lot of virtua pilots there.

Okeedokee.. Priority changed. Still a fair way way to go yet, lots of detail work to do. Roads and railways are being laid but I haven't figured out how to make the bridges properly yet. Anyone know?

I'll drop some screenies later when I've refuelled the reconnaisance plane.