Drawing roads, rivers on map_t??

Has anyone tried drawing these straight onto map_t as suggested in Kevin's new tutorial?

If you curve the road when you draw it on map_t, what is the effect when you load it in the FMB or the game?

It's the only way to do it for extensive road networks. The only problem is that you'll often find funny triangles where an extra pixel got laid down, so you'll have to go through after and clean it up. Still much faster than doing it through FMB though. Curving the lines will just cause strange interconnected roads.

P.S. I recommend using an overlay of map_h to lay down roads. Most road networks take the lowest possible route, and it looks much better on a map than having roads go straight up over mountains, etc.

I have started making roads on a separate layer. I convert the map_t.tga into a psd file first, add a layer for the roads to be drawn on, then add another underlayer which shows the roads themselves as taken from whatever your source is (usually Google maps).

Then you can easily trace the roads with a pen tool.

If you use Paint Shop Pro, you can much more easily avoid the funny triangles by using the key while clicking with the pen tool. This way, two click-points are connected in a straight line automatically. Naturally for curving roads this necessitates lots of clicking, but it's still easier than drawing by hand.

Afterwards the psd is converted in GIMP to the suitable type of tga file.

I am however still trying to figure out how to clean up the triangles. How is that done?

you do that in FMB by trial and error

Also, when making the road diagonal on mapT, only the corners of the road pixels should be touching. Do not make the sides of the pixels touch when making a turn (diagonal) or you will have the "triangles" as mentioned above. Someone else taught me this so I thought I should pass it on.

ftarquisa Wrote:you do that in FMB by trial and error

Take about error .... sometimes it seemed that was all I was doing ... ha ha.

agracier Wrote:I have started making roads on a separate layer. I convert the map_t.tga into a psd file first, add a layer for the roads to be drawn on, then add another underlayer which shows the roads themselves as taken from whatever your source is (usually Google maps).

Then you can easily trace the roads with a pen tool.

If you use Paint Shop Pro, you can much more easily avoid the funny triangles by using the key while clicking with the pen tool. This way, two click-points are connected in a straight line automatically. Naturally for curving roads this necessitates lots of clicking, but it's still easier than drawing by hand.

Afterwards the psd is converted in GIMP to the suitable type of tga file.

I am however still trying to figure out how to clean up the triangles. How is that done?

Merci beaucoup! Those are some great ideas!!