Morocco Map

Here's a shot from a map of Morocco that is coming along nicely. It is meant to depict the period before and just after WWII when the country was still a protectorate and governed by both Spain and France.

I was wondering if any of our Spanish or French members or others have any info on the placement of airfields in Morocco during this general period.

As of now the map only needs placing of airfields and the placing of objects in cities and villages/towns - and probably a lot of polishing as well ...

[Image: Marruecos-001.jpg]

Oh man you are amaything! Grate variety of maps!

Back when I had time to build missions and actually fly them too, a theme i liked a lot was a fictitious, but by no means improbable, war between (Franquist) Spain and (Vichy) France for control over the whole of Morocco ... it would have proved a good vehicle for using some of those ever so colorful French Vichy aircraft ...

And given the rivalry in general with colonial powers it could conceivably just as well have happened prior to the SCW ... or after WWII with France wishing to prove her Great Power status ...

There's also a very colorful scenario when Spanish forces fought against an uprising in the Rif during the 1920's - hence the flag of the Rif Republic given for some color and atmosphere - but with the insurgents having no aircraft, nor motorized vehicles either for that matter, this would make it a one-sided affair in a flight sim ...

Wow agracier, your a map making machine! Confusedhock:

This would be nice for Torch also Big Grin

How is the Tunisia map going?

The you are my hero, I love to do What iff scenarios and camapigns and your maps are superb for that. I love using obscure aircrafts and invent plausible geopolitical situations that might end up in a shooting war...

MrOblongo Wrote:This would be nice for Torch also Big Grin

Tunisia has textures assigned and they look OK ... but I'd like to try and get some desert brown in there as well. The transition between landscape types into desert is something I'd like to do a bit better. I did it on this Morocco map and it works OK as a method - you need to sacrifice some airfield lines as extra ground textures, else there aren't enough to go around - but that's no loss.

I do need better textures for the transition arid land into desert, but we'll have to do some Google Earthing for that.

Otherwise it's a map with a good feel to it, with believable hills/mountains.

As always though one of the choke points is finding info on airfields and then especially on populating with objects.

I tried looking into the autopop tool, but oh man, beyond me at the moment ...

Excellent!!!!

Go to Axel Operation!

agracier Wrote:
MrOblongo Wrote:This would be nice for Torch also Big Grin

Tunisia has textures assigned and they look OK ... but I'd like to try and get some desert brown in there as well. The transition between landscape types into desert is something I'd like to do a bit better. I did it on this Morocco map and it works OK as a method - you need to sacrifice some airfield lines as extra ground textures, else there aren't enough to go around - but that's no loss.

I do need better textures for the transition arid land into desert, but we'll have to do some Google Earthing for that.

Otherwise it's a map with a good feel to it, with believable hills/mountains.

As always though one of the choke points is finding info on airfields and then especially on populating with objects.

I tried looking into the autopop tool, but oh man, beyond me at the moment ...
Learn you will. HARD WORK IT IS... Hard work. Ways of the force are around us
Was it in Tunisia, where they filmed Starwars? Or marocco?

Was it in Tunisia, where they filmed Starwars? Or marocco?

Tunisia ... the name of the village was almost the same as Tatouine as well ...

Awsome!

Its great for SCW missions and specially Dewoitine D.520 missions on the French Morocco (Operation Torch) against F4F Wildcats, cant wait to get the D.520 and this map!

Thanks! Big Grin

Cool... and the Ifni-Conflict?! Great ideas...

How is this doing?

Cheers!

Agracier is away for a while, i wouldn't expect updates for a while...

And that village Tatouine should have a relevance to WW2 flight simmers:

on 3rd March 1943, half of RAF 112 squadron's twelve aircraft were shot down in one dogfight with about 30 Me109s, near "Tatouine". Of the 6 brave men who went missing, 3 were english, 2 canadian & one US. 112 (shark) squadron was part of the Desert Air force, flying Kittyhawks then. This was one of their blackest days.

The 112 squadron history lists:
10.3.43 FR325 Flt Lt R Smith A/C shot down near Foum Tatahouin
10.3.43 FR295 Fl Off D Bruce A/C shot down near Foum Tatahouin
10.3.43 245798 Fg Off G Wiley A/C shot down near Foum Tatahouin
10.3.43 FR131 Plt Off R Smith A/C shot down near Foum Tatahouin
10.3.43 FR275 Flt Sgt R DeBourke A/C shot down near Foum Tatahouin
10.3.43 FR361 Sgt J Oliver A/C shot down near Foum Tatahouin

I wonder if the crew of Star Wars knew, as they were filiming, of the real "Air Wars" that preceded them there?

my mistake