How to put names on a map?

Is there an easy way to add names to old maps lacking them?

Regards

ratty

That can be done either by editing your ed_m01/02.tga files in a graphics editor (GIMP, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro for instance).

And besides names, you can edit just about anything in a graphics editor - add flags or borders or make neat little drawings and insets.

Or else you will have to use the map-building version of Il-2. Start up the map-maker, load ther map and then choose 'view/objects and then scroll down to 'text'.

Click+ctrl adds a text entry, which you must then edit ...

Neither is difficult to do, but the last option in the map-maker generally gives clearer and crisper fonts.

FerretInTheDrinksCabinet Wrote:Is there an easy way to add names to old maps lacking them?

Regards

ratty

yes ... but you'll need original texts.txt files for that default maps ( SFS extractor ... or PM me)

1 make proper map folder for desired map ( MODS\mapmods\maps"desired map")

2 place there original texs.txt file

3 open map in FMB and add some stationary object at locations of needed text ...save mission

4 open mission with notepad

5 copy coordinates of placed stat.objects and use them in texts.txt for your labels

* see my "BoB" map texts.txt for reference ( labels on british land ) regarding font formatting

reg
Z

Thanks folks,

I have the SFS extractor so I'll try that approach first.

Regards

Ratty

Aaakk! Can't even find the .txt file for my map in the *map*.sfs files!

Time for the PM!

Thanks - working perfectly now!

In case this isn't covered elsewhere:

The format in the "texts.txt" file in the relevant map folder (in this case I'm adding names to the MTO map) which would be placed in the MODS\MapMods\Maps\MTOmaps folder is:

78235 13733 7 0 1 4 Bir Hacheim

A) Location reference (numbers after the decimal point must be deleted). So "78235.56 13733.84" must be truncated to "78235 13733". I use a V1 rocket to locate the names since they are easy to find in the .mis file).

B) The four digit text code. (7 0 1 4 above). The digits define from left to right the following parameters:
i) Leftmost ("7") = Zoom level at which the text becomes visible. Possible values I have tested are 7, 6, 5, 4. 7 is visible at all zoom levels, The smaller this value the more you have to zoom in before the text becomes visible.

ii) Second from left ("0") = Justification (relative to the location reference). Possible values are:
0 = Right Justiifed;
1 = Centre Justified;
2 = Left Justified.

iii) Second from the right ("1") = Size of text. Possible values which seem to have any effect are:
0 = Small;
1 = Medium;
2 = Large;
Note that this is independent of the Zoom level at which they become visible. So a name with zoom level 7 but size 0 will always appear on the map - albeit very small to see, whereas a name with zoom level of 4 but size 2 will not be visible at all until you zoom in a long way, whereupon it will suddenly appear in BIG letters.

iv) Rightmost ("4") = Colour. Possible values are 0-9. My approximations are given below but how they appear depends on video card/monitor and background.
0 = Black;
1 = Brown/Red;
2 = Green;
3 = Olive;
4 = Blue;
5 = Purple;
6 = Blue-Green;
7 = Silver-Grey;
8 = Blue-Grey;
9 = Light Blue.

C) The text can include capitalisation and hyphens. IT CAN ALSO INCLUDE SPACES. There is no need to use the underscore, in fact the underscore will actually appear as a character.

My sincere gratitude to fly_zo for his help with this. The vast bulk of the above he was kind enough to explain to me. Any A's & A's please let me know.

Regards

Vermin

This is such good info, it might be worth a "sticky"? Or add it to one of the Tuts already made sticky?

... yeah, great and useful info i agree

please post it in Kevinp's map tutorial thread ... so it can get included in next version

viewtopic.php?t=14643&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

many thanks
Z

Done. Just to reiterate - this is mostly fly_zo's work. All I've done is some testing and wrote it out so I don't forget!