Sky too dark at high alt

I agree with the 'TOO DARK AT HIGH ALTITUDE' idea... Smile

Personnaly, I am MORE concerned about low altitude... :?

I would like to have a bit brighter horizon compare to the rest of the sky to give some sensation of 'deeper' sky. Confusedhock:

For the moment, it is a uniform pale blue...

(I have nothing against this PALE BLUE color because I feel it is realistic but I miss a BRIGHTER horizon..)

Well, if it cannot be modded, then I guess it pretty much ends the concern...

:wink:

Look, this simulator is designed to SIMULATE the majority of aerial combat during WW2. Since this started off simulating battles on the ostfront, which were generally low level, there was no need for modelling high altitude combat.

Even with later expansions and in line with the majority of historical combat, fighting usually occured at no more than 7000m, sometimes a bit higher. There are very few instances where combat occured above 10000m.

It would be good if this could be expanded, but the simulator was not designed for it. And really, if you want to fly high powered jets above 10000m, this isn't the sim for you. This was a ww2 sim designed to simulate the majority of WW2 combat and I think it does a pretty good job at it.

This is the one big flaw remaining in this great game. If I could just remove all stars from the sky, it would be perfect. I spend about 1/3 of my IL-2 time at 5,000m - 6,000m and get really tired of seeing stars in the middle of the day.

Anto Wrote:Look, this simulator is designed to SIMULATE the majority of aerial combat during WW2. Since this started off simulating battles on the ostfront, which were generally low level, there was no need for modelling high altitude combat.

Even with later expansions and in line with the majority of historical combat, fighting usually occured at no more than 7000m, sometimes a bit higher. There are very few instances where combat occured above 10000m.

It would be good if this could be expanded, but the simulator was not designed for it. And really, if you want to fly high powered jets above 10000m, this isn't the sim for you. This was a ww2 sim designed to simulate the majority of WW2 combat and I think it does a pretty good job at it.

I will have to disagree. WW II aerial combat took place at high altitudes in the Western theater of operation mostly b/w 6,000M as far back as the Battle of Britain; and 25,000 ft was preferred bombing altitude for the Norton bombsight all the US level bombers used and this is over 7000M.

Now if you had said the game was designed for the Eastern front where most combat took place at relatively lower altiudes because of the emphasis on supporting the ground troops, I would agree with you.

That said - the fact that we see the curvature of the earth at 5000M is just ridiculous - makes you even wonder if anyone on that design team has actually been in an aircraft.

JG7_X_Man Wrote:...for the Norton bombsight...
Norden

JG7_X_Man Wrote:...the fact that we see the curvature of the earth at 5000M is just ridiculous...
Try with "LandGeom=3" in the conf.ini. It doesn't look all that bad at 10.000m/30.000ft with that setting.

BTW +1 for lighter colour blue of the stratosphere at high alt. Shame so many contrails are in the wrong place of the aircraft.

Anto Wrote:Look, this simulator is designed to SIMULATE the majority of aerial combat during WW2. Since this started off simulating battles on the ostfront, which were generally low level, there was no need for modelling high altitude combat.

I regularly fly high level bombing runs at 9.500mtrs in my pe-8 during euro campaigns, and around 7,000 in the PTO and when PF was introduced,(where high alt flights where all the rage), the issue of dark sky at alt should have been addressed then along with the curvature issue, so when it was all merged into 1946 it was sorted. remember that 1946 ia a merger of all the il2 range, not just the ostofront!
BUT, remember that oleg said most of this stuff the modders have done here, was not able to be done(impossible was his own words)

The problem is the haze. The dark blue sky is default (you see it breifly at low altitude sometimes in graphic rendering glitches). If you can raise the height of the haze, you might be able to partially solve the dark sky problem, but remember to switch this off for flying at night.