[MOD] vkg_El_Alamein

[Image: El_Al_Map.jpg]

From Mersah Matruh in the west to just beyond El Alamein in the east.

Thanks to Mandrill7 for the concept -

This map requires the following mods:

dlv Egypt objects - get it here: viewtopic.php?t=14980&highlight=egypt

LAL Rone Fortifications and hangar mods - get it here: viewtopic.php?t=9302 and here: (The link is inoperative)

ZUTI's airfield friction mod - get it here: http://il2ultrapack.net46.net/index.php ... 247.0.html

This mod allows the map maker to smooth any area for use as an airfield without the need to lay blank plates - good for FPS and a more elegant solution.

Note: the airfield friction mod is included in ZUTI's moving dogfight server, so if you are running that, you shouldn't need it separately.

This map has been tested to work with UI 1.1.1, with the addition of the Egypt objects and the airfield friction mod. The fortifications and hangar mods are already included in the UI 1.1.1, so if you have that, all you need is the Egypt objects and the Airfield mod.

Download contains 21 new desert textures from Google Earth - Egypt, with BumpH files. Included also are a complete set of QMB missions -

All textures and ed maps are indexed to minimize size and speed loading times. Total download size is about 24 meg (compressed).

Extract in your IL2 directory, and follow instructions for what to add to the all.ini and conf.ini files.

Credit and many thanks go to mandrill7, delvpier and LAL_Rone for their wonderful objects, |ZUTI| for his mods and actors tools, and zipzapp for his actors tools, and especially KevinP for his tutorials. On the shoulders of giants, as they say.

Have Fun! - cheers, viking

[UPDATE version 1.2]
There are now two actors and load.ini files included for use with ZUTI's airfield mod or without. Now you'll have a choice! Edit your all.ini and conf.ini (for the qmb missions) as specified in the included readme's for which version you want to use.

Other changes from v1.0:

1) Texture paths changed from "_Tex\land\summer\vkg_Egypt\" to "_Tex\vkg_textures\vkg_Egypt\"
2) refined bumpH files
3) refined map_c coastline to smooth anomalies
4) airfield textures color adjusted to blend better
5) airfield textures renamed to get rid of trees appearing on airfields
6) water color changed
7) HighClouds changed from "Clouds256.tga_med" to "MTO_Clouds256.tga" which should solve some compatibility issues for those not using vp_media default map upgrade pack. (thanks, VP, for the heads up! )

version 1.2 up:
8)edited QMB mission names to work with both map version (with or without ZUTI's airfield mod)
9) removed Hotchkiss tanks from QMB missions to enhance compatibility (thanks chap and forager!)

Any missions built using 1.0 should be fine on 1.2.

I suggest you delete the previous version folders \mapmods\maps\_Tex\land\summer\vkg_Egypt\

and \mapmods\maps\vkg_El_Alamein\

and unpack the update in your root Il2 directory.

You can get it here for now, and hopefully we'll be moving it out of the beta section presently, maybe with an installer.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zzr0jqotj ... n_v1.2.zip

Compatibility Patch
This small patch removes the two union jack flags on the map - with this patch the map will load and save with a base install of 4.09 plus LAL Rone fortification and Hangar mods plus dlv Egypt objects mod. Extract to your root directory and overwrite when asked.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5vttt1mzm ... _v1.21.zip

View Towards the Qattarra Escarpment

[Image: ViewTowardEscarpment.jpg]

Mersah Matruh

[Image: MersahMatruh.jpg]

Wadi

[Image: Wadis.jpg]

The desert is vast and empty

[Image: Qattarra.jpg]

"The desert is vast and empty"

Perfect place for a war.

Looks excellent.

I used to love reading about the battle of Alamein....especially the 'action at snipe'
where are my six-pounders?
Thanks for this and all your hard work.

very nice, thanks m8

... moved to betas

please read

(The link is inoperative)

reg

Z

Another brilliant addition! Thank you very much for your work!

At last! Great! Many, many thanks!

Awwwwwsome!! Big Grin I love it , another excellent map wonderful, most thankful M8. Cheers.

Downloading now. I suppose it comes with QMB missions such as Crete?

Condor345 Wrote:Downloading now. I suppose it comes with QMB missions such as Crete?

Yep Big Grin

Congratulations on producing such a professional looking map. I really appreciate the effort that's gone into creating a map like this

Kind Regards

Ven.

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: ?!?

Viking you're killing me... I just managed to get Crete to work, and You hit me with this beauty!!!

Please, ...promise to me that this one should be smooth install.

You just stuffed up my weekend...

Thanks, Maestro

Looks very nice, much lke the egypt I went to last year 8) (sunglasses on boys Wink )

Top notch m8 8)

[Image: catpongaq4.gif]

Stunning mate.

But Please dont use Zutis Friction mod, it disables catapults on the Carrier takeoff mod, and for us carrier based squads is a big nono...

Also, you dont need invisible plates to smothen a zone for airbases, just use the fill function on your FMB.. its more work yes but it really makes things easyer havin less mods to depned on for maps...