Battle of France Map - Part 2 - WIP

Jawbrkr Wrote:any new news on this map? Waiting patiently so I can begin mapping for early war maps!

The railways are complete -- apart from bridges.
Am about half way through doing the principal roads. Hope to complete that within a week.
There then needs to be some simplification of both road and rail done to make it fit in crowded areas and to remove some of the corners. Because it is not possible to model true curves I think the visual appearance is improved if too many short straights are avoided.

Then there will be major forested areas to add. I expect this to be a quick job.

I want to add more waterways, including those which were key features of BoF, such as R. Semois in the Ardennes and a number of the minor rivers on the route of the Panzer breakthrough.

The steep sided rivers such as the Meuse need a bit of height editing due to problems arising due to mismatch of the SRTM height data and the water courses, which need to be set to zero height. This might take a bit of time to get looking right.

Then there is texturing to refine, including adding extensive areas of fields, exposed rock on cliffs and some beach textures.

Before issue I would still like to include some of the bridges and a selection of airfields. I am still aiming to get something issued before the end of January.

Messages In This Thread