Poll: Cities: What should we do about them. - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Fully populated, with heaps of detail?
45.45%
45.45%
Sparsely Populated; but enough detail to be interesting?
52.27%
52.27%
No population, leaving only the city tiles there - concentrate on airfields, harbours and other area's of interest?
2.27%
2.27%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

City Population

This is a tough question and of course the answer depends on the specific map.
But:
Build time: if there's a team, surely that helps reducing the build time, I see there are many individual-author map projects here and very few teams projects, I find this unfortunate.
How densely populated should be maps: here players may have different oppinions so this is my (very)personal: populate at least DECENTLY a map, and by decently I mean each town or village populated at least at the level of detail found in AVERAGE il2 official maps. Again this is matter of taste, if I fly over a magnificently populated city on a map and then next over a spooky village on the same map, that detail is killing immersion to me.
If the map is very big and has a big density of villages and towns there are always solutions:
a)reduce size or/and number of towns, villages etc but still keep a decent look for the remaining ones by decently populating them.
b) release different versions with regions fully populated and rest of the map empty or scarcely populated.
Working with actors static: no real problem here because you can always work on separate regions of the map and add the regions at the end to the final map.

But still the important thing to many problems: map teams!

Messages In This Thread