Locations In Solomons 4 Slot Map

I got an E-mail from Dan who runs one of the VMF-213 Memorial Websites, the same whom gave me the VMF-213 Data.

Check it out, its about our Mystery Location!!

Quote:Roy

http://agw.bombs-away.net/showthread.ph ... post984473

I take it from reading this that you are Dixiecapt and are working with tater?

Your "phonetic spelling" idea is a good one. I zoomed in on the map I sent to you and also did not locate Lolabinauri or anything that looked like this. I will call Steve and ask him to triple check this. Steve originally transcribed Lt. Winnia's diary, and at times had difficulty deciphering his scratches. Though I am sure he no longer has the original diary in his possession, I do think he has scans or photos of it. One of the small tasks I helped him with was in the spelling of names as I had official rosters and the like.

I will also email, or perhaps call, some of the pilots who were there at the time and see if they have any recollection of this obscure location.

I thought it quite humorous one poster's comment that maybe it had been bombed off the map. The Lola island, does not look too badly to me either, I am unsure why the thought is that there must be a airstrip on the island, perhaps it was artillery, patrol boats or otherwise.

Steve did include a table of locations mentioned in the diary in one of our correspondances, indicating some of the code words as we recently emailed (Knucklehead, Buttons) and he had Lolabinauri in the table, but no explaination.

Dan

Messages In This Thread