Poll: Choose Team Pacific's new project. - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Rabaul w/Bougainville
26.09%
26.09%
Rabaul w/New Guinea
26.52%
26.52%
New Guinea
6.52%
6.52%
Leyte Gulf
19.57%
19.57%
Burma
10.00%
10.00%
Marshalls
3.91%
3.91%
Admiralty Islands
2.17%
2.17%
Others?
5.22%
5.22%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Choose Team Pacific's next project

I respectfully suggest the Mariana Islands, possibly including the Bonins and Volcano Isl, and maybe Palau.

The Marianas would be excellent for flight times - e.g. the 318th FG P-47 ground support missions from Saipan were often less than 15 minutes from takeoff-landing. B-25 missions in the same range. Longer range, but still short strikes from Saipan to Guam, Rota, and Pagan would add variety. It would also be an excellent setting for P-61 missions (6th NFG), and of course, carrier missions preceding and during the invasion battles. Some of the "Turkey Shoot" missions were conducted directly over Guam - the big Val intercept over Orote, for example.

If anyone is interested, I live in Saipan now, and I have collected quite a bit of references and info that would be of use, including aerial photos of all of Saipan c. early 1945. The recon photos from the pre-invasion strikes are available at the Bishop Museum in HI, and I might be able to get them (I have some now, but not showing air strips). I can help as mcuh as possible, though I know nothing of how to build maps.

Messages In This Thread