Uploaded Industry template for AUTOPOP

I'll happily give placing objects a go, Lowfighter!

Quote:I think the less "square" ones were those which developed in stages

I've been looking out the window of the tram all the way home from work today, to see if I could discover anything interesting. I think you are absolutely right about the most untidy ones being the result of building in stages. Where I'm from (very hilly Oslo), terrain also play an important part, as successive buildings are lain out along rivers and steep inclines. However, even the ones occupying flat ground are often less than orderly.

Most of the industrial buildings around where I live span the last 60 years or so, starting from post-war restoration to modern software glass-cubes. If we assume the same to be the case during the 2nd World War, industrial complexes would hold buildings from late Victorian period and onward. In a big industrial field like you are designing, there would be small "cottage industry", metal workshops big and small and brand new big industrial halls.

After I found out how FMB works, I've spent the few times I've flown looking out the window of the plane to see how the world looks from above. Even in modern, well planed industrial areas, you'll find unevenness and buildings that don't quite line up:

[Image: slc_industrial.jpg]
[Image: Industrial%20Area_jpg.jpg]

As for villages, we are obviously coloured by our cultural background. In Norway we don't really have villages, what I have made is really a close collection of farms. The idea though is that in villages (and old industrial areas) you will ha open spaces, small alleyways, twisting roads etc. What we see in the Slovakian map is way, way better than what we find in most IL2 maps, but the hoses are still lined up better than even old Roman forts (and the Romans where obsessed with lining things up).

For a nice example of how houses actually are lined up, I suggest looking at Compans very nice city tiles. They are taken from actual aerial photos I believe, and very well show how houses are lined up.

Messages In This Thread