Question regarding Map_T files

Hmmm, I think it would be too hard to work within the grayscale picture... (I didn't 8) )

In fact, as CanonUK, I work in color !!! (a lot easier Big Grin )

I convert my image into indexed color map (this work in Photoshop - the one I know well). Then, as the 32 darkest colors are the more important, I change each of them :
The 4 first ones are lowland >>> I convert them into 4 greens from lighter to darker ones.
The 4 next are midland >>> I convert them into 4 brownish greens the same way.
The 4 next are mount >>> I convert them into 4 browns..
.... etc (take the colors you want, as long as its evocating for you (and easy to recognize : my city texs are all reds and countries orange...)

I save my indexed color ramp (very important for the other map_T files I'll have to work on).

Anyway, I can view a lot more clearly where terrain types are)

I paint my map that way (no anti-aliased tool) ...

I don't mind about roads & rail because this will be added only at the end (in grayscale using GIMP because PShop is not good with additive layers !)

When its done (in fact, a lot of tests all along the work), I convert it in grayscale INDEXED color map.
I save it (useless to test it within il2 now because it doesn't like indexed color mpa for map_T file).
I open my file in GIMP and convert it from indexed to grayscale, & save it as tga (very important : NO RLE COMPRESSION) .
Now it's ready to look into the game FMB.

Hope this helps :wink:

Messages In This Thread