Idiot's guide to dissecting map_c??

mandrill7 Wrote:Thanks, Redwulf. I d/l-ed the alternative application and tried it out. I got a little farther along. It opened my map_c.tga and then I attempted to create a map_c.table.

But after a few seconds, the application stopped and appeared confused. It then aborted the process and told me the map was "too complex".

I checked in PSP that the map is only 1 layer. It is. And it is in greyscale and just uses black and white.

The map is quite large - over 10,000 pixels wide. And it has a lot of little lakes and a few large rivers. No sea coast at all. (Central Russia).

Any guesses or suggestions as to what I should do???? I could white out some of the lakes, but I don't want to do that unless I genuinely have to.

Hi Mandrill,

Had that issue myself, that's why I put the "complexity check" in the application. Do a histogram of your raw map_c file. Make sure white is white i.e. every pixel with a value above 127 is 255 (make sure anything below 100 is 0 at the same time), this is the usual cause of "map too complex", this can occur during your processing of the raw map, especially if you use antialiasing. My Denmark map_c is 14784 by 11072 pixels (somewhat larger than yours, I think), is very complex wrt twisty-turny coastlines, lakes, rivers and now compresses comfortably to about 25 Mb (limit imposed by TGA format is 67108864 bytes), tga_table to 625 Kb.

Hope this helps, don't hesitate to PM me if problems persist.

EDIT: Oh make sure it's grayscale i.e. 8 bits per pixel, you'll need the grayscale to soften the coastlines. Welcome to the madness btw :wink:

Messages In This Thread