map requests

CzechTexan Wrote:I really just wanted an area where I live, kinda like Fabianfred wanted a Thailand map because he lives there.

I can understand that, and I'm not trying to discourage you, but, well, modeling even part of Texas would be a Texas-sized project. That might be frustrating for a beginner, which is why I suggested going for the "easier" map.

I know that Texas was much more rural in the 1940s. My point about the shape of the fields is that U.S. farmland tends to have lots of rectangular and square fields, due to the fact that most land in the U.S. was sold off in pre-surveyed units by the government and subdivided from there. Things in Texas are slightly different, since the Spanish colonized the land first, but Texas sure doesn't look like the Western Europe, Russia, or anyplace else outside of the U.S., so you'd need to make custom ground textures.

What you could do, which might be easy and fun, is create a "Spanish Texas" with airfields, roads and a couple of big towns. Use the STRM data for the Dallas-Fort Worth area, then use the ground textures from the Crimea or Stalingrad map, since they might be about the right color, and would convey the idea of big, empty grasslands. (A lot of the "dusty" nature of modern-day Texas comes from overgrazing in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, before then it was dry grassland.)

You could use a number of Egypt objects (viewtopic.php?t=14977) to simulate Spanish adobe houses and a few of the stock objects from the Russian maps to model wooden buildings. For practice doing cities, you could model Dallas and Fort Worth as two large towns using stock factories, stone buildings and the like.

Then, once you've got your basic map, with roads, railroads, towns and airfields laid out you can keep playing with it, building your skills with autopopulating the map, building custom objects, and so forth.

Messages In This Thread