The random tree mistery

Below is a shot from Istvan's Balaton map variant. Normally on that type of ground texture there are not many random trees. However in this case there are a lot of them. What's the trick? If we know the trick we can use the random trees in selected locations, I like them quite a lot... :? :? :?

[Image: Alotoftrees.jpg]

Try to see there
viewtopic.php?t=1083&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Thanks John reminding me, I don't think it's that though: the texture in the shot is fields_midland_ian.tga in Istvan's Balaton load.ini and it has no 2 or -2. If you open now Murmansk summer load.ini, same texture with no 2 or -2 appears on extended regions. But there's hardly any tree to be seen there.

Sands of time has no trees at all. But if you use any of the sands of time textures on any other map trees still appear.

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC

MAPS\_Tex\land\summer\autumnfields1.tree.tga

MAPS\_Tex\land\summer\fields1.tree.tga

MAPS\_Tex\land\summer\fields2.tree.tga

These seem to govern the placement of 'random' trees. 1x pixel equals one tree. Haven't figured out what triggers them yet though. If you could make modded/renamed versions of these and use them along side the originals it might be posible to do some interesting things. There must be seperate ones for forest edge too. Just ned to find them Smile

(The link is inoperative) /autumnfields1.jpg

I simply don't understand, and Meister, that's a good observation and I noticed too evcen more weird stuff but maybe I'm halucinating.
Then to Bee, I did somethign like this some time ago:
Took a texture and renamed it say X.tga. Then took a .tree.tga and renamed as X.tree.tga.
loaded a map containing X.tga in the load.ini. I was expecting to see lots of trees there but no joy.
So in summary we don't know what makes more or less trees grow in Oleg's green and pleasant land. What's up?
I checked more on Balaton, picked up a location where there were trees lots of them on Istvan variant. Then went to default map, scarcely any trees there. Then i went back to Istvan's and painted more of that color (midland0) exited went back and again lot's of trees on the freshly painted spots.

The visual quality setting matters, right? You see many at "Perfect" and far fewer at Excellent, for example.

Tater, the matter is here about things which you see under the same setings, in this case under perfect settings.

Teransparency of *.tree.tga textures?

Sheddan, what do you mean?

313_Sheddan Wrote:Teransparency of *.tree.tga textures?

its texture related, if you put an appropriate texture in Lowland or midland holder trees will appear except if you add that ,2 switch

tree placement is texture dependant, the files posted above influence this with their transparency mask/alpha channel

some textures like rocks dont have auto-trees, i assume that theres a generic property table somewhere

(imho)

lowfighter Wrote:Sheddan, what do you mean?

I think he is talking about the alpha channel.

TEAM PACIFIC

Skunkmeister Wrote:
lowfighter Wrote:Sheddan, what do you mean?

I think he is talking about the alpha channel.
Yes, alpha channel...

Ok, I try once again:
If you take Istvan variant of Balaton you'll notice regions with lot of trees. If you investigate you find that those regions are midland0. If you look into load.ini you see:
midland0= fields_midland_ian.tga.
No I go to another map (it was Stalingrad) and paint midland0 somewhere and assign in load.ini
midland0= fields_midland_ian.tga
Scarcely any trees there. So what makes the difference?
Another point to consider: coming back to Istvan's Balaton variant there's also another region namely lowland1 also assigned to fields_midland_ian.tga. However for that region you see scarcely any tree. What makes the difference?
On all default maps as far as I know such density of trees appears only in regions filled with fieds1.tga or fields2.tga or autumn_fields1(Ithink).tga. Those are also the only files which have associated a x.tree.tga.
Please tell me more about this transparency, that's something which sounds chinese to me lol :?
Trees are so dear to me, please help solving this mistery Big Grin

A fellow squad mate (who I've given my Aleutians map to) has cracked this mystery apparently!

All you have to do in load.ini is pick a texture and add "fields_" in front of the texture's name.

See:

[Image: il2fb2008010919444187vw8.jpg]

[Image: il2fb2008010919431257al1.jpg]

TEAM PACIFIC