Battle of France Map - Part 2 - WIP

LAL_RONE Wrote:asheshouse, have you already gone to France ?
Do you mean in the game? -- Yes 6min in mosquito from Ramsgate to Calais.
In real life? --- Yes, many times.

ranwers Wrote:Why so little of England ?

Why do England at all?

My aim is to do a map which is good for the Battle of France - Now that we have the MS406 to be shot down in. Also flyable Blenheim is very good for this time frame.

So why include England. Because a lot of the RAF missions during BoF were flown from England. Then when the BEF cuts and runs the map covers Dunkirk very well.

I also realised that using the 400x270km template from the Singapore map I could cover the whole of the Ardennes for 1944 Battle of the Bulge, and on the western edge we just squeeze in Dieppe. There are few other areas where you get so many historic scenarios out of such a compact area. Early Fairey Battle raids were carried out in the Ardennes against German columns so the Ardennes is needed for BoF as well. Then there are the Fi156 Storch special air landing missions to carry out -- just for fun. You need the Ardennes for that too. So much mission building potential.

Why not do more of England? Well that would primarily be useful for BoB, and I would rather wait for SoW for that one.

Whit such a big map maybe it would be good idea to make couple of variants that will focus on certain areas because if you put lot of objects map can become unplayable, especially online.

No in reality !!!!
You create FRANCE as a No man's land .....
You omit a lot of thing .... roads, villages.

I never believe that I fly on my country with your map !!!!

C'est pas vrais RONE, just check the previous pages, you see maps with roads, villages, and towns. Big Grin

LAL_RONE Wrote:No in reality !!!!

LAL_RONE Wrote:No in reality !!!!

You are correct that at the moment the map lacks the essential details that allow you to recognise national character. At the moment it is still -- almost -- a blank sheet.

So far I have defined the coastline, plotted the main rivers and waterways, created topography to define hills, valleys etc, plotted the positions of nearly all the cities towns and villages, and plotted all of the rail network. This has been completed for an area which exceeds 100,000 sq km in less than three weeks, so I'm reasonable pleased with progress.

What I cant promise is that I will actually complete the project, and due to the density of built up area it is unlikely that it can all be fully populated with objects. What is more likely is that some parts of the area will be built up in more detail than others. The ground textures used at the moment will be changed to a more suitable field pattern. All villages will as a minimum have an area of town texture so that they can be identified for visual navigation purposes.

My intentions now are to complete the road and rail network and get most of the key bridges in place and locate most of the densely forested areas. At that point it would be good to do some sort of Beta issue. I hope that the first release will be some time in January, but thats not a promise either. There remains the possibility that I will hit some sort of technical problem that will prevent further progress, for example, until this week I couldnt work out how to locate bridges, but that is now resolved. I will keep going until I hit an unsurmountable problem or lose interest.

FC Wrote:Whit such a big map maybe it would be good idea to make couple of variants that will focus on certain areas because if you put lot of objects map can become unplayable, especially online.
You may be right.

asheshouse Wrote:
FC Wrote:Whit such a big map maybe it would be good idea to make couple of variants that will focus on certain areas because if you put lot of objects map can become unplayable, especially online.
You may be right.

Several *.ini and *.static files should do the trick. The rest can be the same for all variants.

wooooaaaw i see a piece of the netherlands in this map , THATS GREAT Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin whe are waiting for a long time for a little piece of the netherlands

great work !!!!!!!!!!!!!

s

1.JaVA_KEBEN

Nearly 1/3rd of Nertherlands is included.
The map extends up to, and includes Rotterdam. I was thinking of the German seaplane landings to capture the Mass bridges and also Ju52 transport flights into Dutch airfields.
For late war scenarios part of the Market Garden area is covered but I did not have enough space to include Arnhem.
You may need to get some skins sorted out for Dutch aircraft. Smile

Anyone know what colour the rocks are in the Ardennes/Meuse gorges?
Any suggestions of texture to use?

For the channel coast I plan to use -- Italy_DF/land/summer/mount_top2.tga,2
which is the same as Fly_zo's BoB map textures.

asheshouse Wrote:Anyone know what colour the rocks are in the Ardennes/Meuse gorges?
Any suggestions of texture to use?

For the channel coast I plan to use -- Italy_DF/land/summer/mount_top2.tga,2
which is the same as Fly_zo's BoB map textures.

Here is a Google Earth shot of Dinant, on the Meuse
[Image: Dinant.jpg]

Based on my look at the terrain along the Meuse, it all appears to be a light to medium gray granite.

any new news on this map? Waiting patiently so I can begin mapping for early war maps!

This will only help very little, but here's a cool site from the Netherlands, displaying historical maps and recon photos:

http://watwaswaar.nl/#Ke-CO-2-1-1v-1c-2zo0-1IJc

This link will zoom in on Breda and the information squares will be from 1900 till 1945.

Maybe there is a similar product/site for Belgium and France?

Keep up the good work! :!:

That is a very nice site. I found RAF aerial photos of the area I live in. Thanks.