Battle of Britain 'Online' Map WIP

Hello all,

Thought I'd start a WIP thread so I can keep all my questions etc in one place.

As an introduction to mapping, I thought I'd start with an 'online' style map, and since I love Emils I've gone for the Battle of Britain. I'm well aware that other teams are working on this theatre and this is no way intended to step on their toes - for me it's a practice, and it won't be anywhere near as accurate and detailed as theirs. Mine will just be a few cities in the right places, a semi-accurate coastline (and cliffs Big Grin) and the 'feel' of Britain. It's going to be the same size as Netsummer5, which I think is a good size for an online map.

So, I'll be posting screenshots and questions and stuff here and I would really appreciate any feedback and advice. I've got to rush off to work now but I'll post some pics later.

Cheers,

Joe

Cannon, that is a great idea! I'll very much look forward to seeing it as it progresses. Considering the how much you have already contributed to the sim over the years, and the incredible quality of your work - I'm sure it will be a winner. :wink:

Try to minimize the number of villages/towns on your map. Populating these areas with objects is a pain in the [CENSORED].

That

Bee: Well, I'm sure it won't be as stunning as some of the other maps that are in development, but I'll make it nice. I don't have unlimited time to work on it though, especially since I want to skin too Smile

MiWa: Yeah, I don't plan to do too many towns and villages - and the ones I do place will be simple

Joe

Knowing level of quality of work of its maker, I have no any doubt that this map will be great.

I can hardly wait.

Grrr...

Did some editing of heights and textures using FMB and then clicked 'Save'. Looked at map_h and map_t in Photoshop and I was surprised I couldn't see any changes. Loaded the map again in FMB and my changes were gone Sad Lucky I had only done 15 mins of work.

Anyone know what I did wrong?

Dont forget there is a "read folder" and a "write folder".

The game saves to root\maps\map name, while it loads from root\files\maps\map name.

Most likely your changed map_h is in root\maps\map name.

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC

Skunkmeister Wrote:Dont forget there is a "read folder" and a "write folder".

The game saves to root\maps\map name, while it loads from root\files\maps\map name.

Most likely your changed map_h is in root\maps\map name.

If you created this directory first, of course ...
This is explained well in the readme that comes with the tool (nobody reads the readme, I know Smile )

Maraz

Got it working now - thanks Smile

Thought I'd post some pics - rather unsurprisingly I thought I'd show the famous 'White Cliffs' first.

Again, heights etc are only approximations, but so far I give they give a nice effect.

Comments and advice very welcome

[Image: cliffs1.jpg]

[Image: cliffs2.jpg]

[Image: cliffs3.jpg]

What texture is that?

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC

Lovely effect mate!..

The texture is something I made especially for the cliffs.

check your coast from sea level view .... game tends to elevate ground bottom with elevations close to water ....

textures are amazing ..... Big Grin

Z

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin thats stunning m8. Absoloutly amazing. If you can create textures for the cliffs, can you make normal fields and stuff ?