Battle of Britain 'Online' Map WIP

Yeah, I plan to knock out a few more custom textures to get the feel of British fields just right.

Ah yes, also got a question for you all. I don't want to do too many RAF airfields but I want to cover the really important ones. How do these ones sound?

Tangmere
Lympne
Hawkinge
Manston
Biggin Hill
Hornchurch
Northolt

Hey Canon,

That looks great Smile Smile

Cheers, Neil Smile

Any chance of those cliffs to be more vertical... just a bit... I know IL2 has some graphic anomalies when you make elevations to vertical, but do what you can.. Wink

A1!!!

TS

Tigershark: Yeah, I've steepened up some of the cliffs in some areas - but it's difficult given the game's limitations.

Some questions for experts:

1) How do I get different shades of water in the sea? I'd like to have a lighter colour in the shallow areas.

2) What does ed_map_t.tga do?

Cheers

Tigershark,

If you look at this post it ill explain the problems with IL2's terrain engine and why you cannot have steep cliffs like Dover and beachy head.

viewtopic.php?t=2031

CanonUK, nice work, love your textures maps, wish I had that talent.

CW

Consider it as a option
[Image: kliffl9.jpg]
its a part od delta river on Desert online map,i think it could be used to made a nice lookin clifs with beach.

I've actually managed to make very steep high sharp cliffs, similar to the pic, Loku - I'll post pics when I'm home from work.

Guys - maybe you missed my post earlier -

Any comments on my choice of airfields? I'm thinking of adding West Malling and Detling too.

ed_mat_t.tga : what's it for?

Different shades of water? How?

Thanks

Cant answer your first 2 questions, but I can answer the last one.

Water colour is controlled by the [WATER] entry in the load.ini. I have yet to find the true meaning of the values, but they are different from one map to another. So if you want water colour to be the same as on the Normandy map, you have to open the Normandy load.ini and copy the [WATER] entry into your load.ini.

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC

canonuk Wrote:I've actually managed to make very steep high sharp cliffs, similar to the pic, Loku - I'll post pics when I'm home from work.

Guys - maybe you missed my post earlier -

Any comments on my choice of airfields? I'm thinking of adding West Malling and Detling too.

ed_mat_t.tga : what's it for?

Different shades of water? How?

Thanks

Canon,

do you think maybe on “ed_m01.tga” or some similar name file?

If it is the case, that is 2D map, one that we see in FMB and usually same as that but smaller one that we see in ingame “flight map”.

About airfields . . . and coming from a guy who is not englishman and who learned about BoB from books and movies, your choice of airdromes sounds familiar and therefore perfect.

Maybe just to keep them as small in numbers as necessary. This should be at last smaller online map.

CanonUK,

To expand on Avala's post:

As Avala said they are the maps you see in the FMB and the inflight map. They are different sizes so you can get better resolution as you zoom in . As far as I am aware I have never needed ed_m01.tga, so I just clone 02 to save space.

They are in RGB colour 24 bit format, no alpha channel.

ed_m01.tga, scale 1 pixel = 100 meters
ed_m02.tga, scale 1 pixel = 200 meters
ed_m03.tga, scale 1 pixel = 400 meters

PS, how did you get very steep cliffs?

CW

ClockWatcher Wrote:They are in RGB colour 24 bit format, no alpha channel.

They actually work in indexed (256) colour as well.

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC

Cheers Skunkmeister, I'll have to give it a try.

CW

He is talking about ed_map_t.tga

Balaton map has one. It is also referenced in load.ini:
Code:
[TMAPED]
ed_map_t.tga

IIRC, there are some load.ini files with this entry, but the actual ed_map_t.tga does not exist. Il2 engine just ignores this entry if the file is not present, I guess.
From the look of the Balaton ed_map_t.tga it probably corresponds to ship routes across rivers and lakes. I'm guessing it is obsolete now, as the game code evolved.

Thanks for the answers, guys. Yes, I was referring to ed_map_t.tga - but since it's obsolete I can ignore it.

CW: I got the very steep cliffs along a stretch of coast that was quite straight. I simply had a sharp edge in map_h between land and sea and a suitable height difference.

Joe

Ok, some pics of the cliffs again - honestly, I have done more than just the cliffs, I'm just very pleased with them Smile

[Image: cliffs_5.jpg]

[Image: cliffs_6.jpg]