Battle of France Map - Part 2 - WIP

I guess I don't really understand forest=3 and how it works.

The St Omer image was with forest=2
I've changed conf.ini to Forest=3 but I dont see the lines of trees on Bee's image.

With forest=2 I had random isolated trees appearing on runways.
I got rid of those by adding a suffix 4 to the texture reference.

Airfield0= land/summer/sk_fields_airfieldGr.tga,4

I can't remember why. Must have read about it somewhere.

My graphics card is fairly old (ATI9200 128Mb)
Perhaps that's why I don't see the trees?

Can anyone explain all these tree options?

My understanding is as follows:
Forest=2 random trees appear all over the place in Perfect and Excellent mode; 'Oleg" trees (a row of low def,pale green-grey jobbies) appear on the map in positions decided by the map maker. Random trees have no collison model as they are dependent on the graphic settigns of the user. "Oleg' trees have collison models.

Forest=3 random trees are still there and perhaps more numerous and "Oleg" trees placed by the map maker are now "sexy' trees. "Oleg' trees placed by the mission builder are now invisible but, and here's the hilarious aspect, still have a collision model.

The fugly chunky dark green tree and the individual green-gey tree seem unaffected.

Ths is how I think it works. If anyone can confirm or correct any points please do.

I'm more confused than first :? SO at the end: what is the good solution to set up conf.ini with PERFECT setting forest=2 OR forest=3 ?

Forest 3 is prettiest by far. 8)

Well I'm still confused.
I think my graphics card is not powerful enough to get PERFECT settings.

If is set Forest=3 in conf.ini I dont see any difference.
Does it only affect certain textures.

Are there any other configuration changes you have to make to display it?

I cant get the best quality water settings either.
That is definitely a graphics card issue.

Rules of the Forest=3

1. To see trees in game you having to Perfect mode and "used hardware shaders" on.
Tree has better looking. Trees put in FMB are visible to. Moded trees in fabianfred

tree mod are allways invisible when Forest=3.

2.To see trees in FMB+
They are allways invisible. Work with Forest=2 when you finished and set Forest=3
and run game ( not from FMB ) the trees are there.

3. What I know don't use Tree type 2, tree broad 1 and kust because they has very poor

3D model.

Hi Zdenek

PS Sorry for my English

Zdenek is correct. Make sure you have "HardwareShaders=1" in your config :wink:

And btw, the first person to make the Forest= 3 tree an FMB object will be my hero Smile

Changed settings to HardwareShaders=1
There were two locations in conf.ini to change.

Now IL2 doesn't load missions.
You get to the briefing screen ok but it crashes out to desktop when you try to load the mission.

I guess my graphics card won't accept HardwareShaders=1
Its an ATI 9200 128Mb

Need to set a target for the first release of the map. For a while I've been wandering about doing bits here and there. I want to concentrate now on completing one area. My thought has always been to follow the route of the Panzer breakthrough so it seems logical for the first issue to concentrate on the area of ground activity during 10th to 16th May as shown on this map extract.

[Image: Situation10to16May.jpg]

This will provide terrain for all of the principal Semois and Meuse crossing points and will cover events prior to the Battle of Arras.

So, needless to say if anyone has some gems of info for this area please own up. I have good info on most of the French airfields. I hope to include a few of the principal German airfields, off map to the east. I'm not splitting the map, just concentrating on detail in this area.

Meanwhile RealDarko has picked up the challenge of detailing the area around Eban Emael and the Albert Canal bridges. Watch this space. What's your glider flying like?

Sedan - Douzy located on the confluence of the Chiers and the Meuse.
Tricky approaches because of the surrounding hills.
The high ground in the distance was the scene of fierce fighting by the French as they tried to push back the German troops from the village of Stonne which became the linch pin of the Sedan bridgehead.

[Image: Untitled-6.jpg]

This shows early stages of creating the large town of Sedan.
Not attempting to create an accurate town map, just to create the right feel.
I've copied large blocks of scenery from Slovakia and merged them to get this far.
Next step will be to sort out the edges and remove the odd building that is blocking a road.

Also added another airfield at Laon-Chambry.
Next airfield will be Mezieres-Tournes north west of Sedan.

[Image: Untitled-7.jpg]

This looks great! Confusedhock: Really looking forward to this map!! 8)

Brilliant stuff. That looks very good indeed.

My heart will be bleeding, when i turn my Stuka in to the bombdive :twisted:

This is one of my top maps I have been following, you are doing such a great job asheshouse.. considering how big and how populated this map will be, it will probably be very tedious putting all those objects in by hand... so I strongly urge you give this a try!!! Arrow viewtopic.php?t=3816

Big Grin keep up the good work and I hope, for the community sake, that you have oodles and oodles of free time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TS