The English Channel WIP

canonuk Wrote:Steve,

I should have posted shots from Pas de Calais and southern England - there are fields textures up there that look lots like England and France.

The area I've taken screenshots from is higher terrain, which tends not to be overly cultivated

Joe

Great to hear Joe -- should've had faith in you!

Can't wait to see this and your other map.

S!

Edited for spelling

If you watch "the making of the Battle of Britain" (film) I think it says something about the soil in France being more red than England, and thus the ground looks totally different in each country. Amazing work you've done so far though, mate, I'm REALLY looking forward to it!

~S Sir,

As a bomber pilot I think I can speak for the entire 379th Virtual Bomb Group when I say, "We are so thrilled to see this map being done correctly!" I personally like the journey across the channel into German occupied France and dropping a few eggs! haha

Really looking forward to the final product!!!

Go show mate! ;dd

Gen. Buzzard
CO 379th VBG
"Long may you fly!"

Just to let you all know I'm making excellent progress.

My textures are 95% done - just need to go around and add some details here and there.

Using a combination of Autopop and Actors CS I've populated my cities and have my original BoB online airfields in the correct place on my extended map. Need to go round and adjust as necessary. After that I can make a start on some of the new airfields that my extended map includes.

Joe

Excellent News Cannon! Can

[quote="Baco1170"]Excellent News Cannon! Can

~S Sir,

Really looking forward to this! Can't wait to start making some B17 Bomber missions for the 379th using a homebase in Great Britain and hitting targets in France.

Good to hear you're getting close.

Buzzard 8)

Ok, I thought I'd post a tiny update.

Below is the famous St Omer - Arques (Fort Rouge) airfield. I've got detailed photographs showing it in both 1940 and 1943, so I'll be able to have the correct layout for each time period I'm working on. This shot shows the 1940 layout.

Rather handily, the entire grass area is usable as takeoff/landing areas thanks to the use of invisible Krontstadt tiles Smile

[Image: stomer.jpg]

Joe

I made my kronstadt tiles invisible...now i cannot see them to lay them :roll:

which one is the biggest? I see they are as wide as six normal parking plates

I've been using plate 17. It seems a little bigger.

I'm simply renaming the 'invisible' folder in MODS so the plates are visible, placing them, and then activating the invisible mod.

attenntion, brainstorming 12 o clock high :lol:

The film "battle of britain" was a reason why i joined into the il2 sturmovik comunity. I like to fly western front scenarios expecially Emil against Spitfire and later Fw190A against B17, P38, P47 and P51.

This map whould be a the crown for il2 western front pilots:

- Battle of France
- Battle of britain
- The channel
- Operation Cerberus
- Dieppe Raid
- D-Day

the map is big enought to make a complete western front online war in the time between 1940 and 1944. We have the Spit MkI mod, mods for french planes, blenheim mod, typhoon mod, b17 mod, perhaps c47 and ju 52 get a cockpit for supply missions.

I know canonuk because of his plane skins. Always a fantastic an detail work. So I also know, that this project will be fantastic and we should support him when it is nessesary.

This map has to be make available for lots of pilots. The only problem is, that there are a lot of pilots who do not know about sound mod and this project. Other pilots do not know how to install this mod.

Please tell me if i am wrong but:

- We have to make a popular western front sound mod patch, where all nessesary mods are included to fly this map with the planes of this period. So you can download this patch and install it with one click. There is so much work behind this project. It whould be a big thing if a lot of pilots whould fly together in this theater.

- A lot of professional squadrons do not like sound mod and co. Because even oleg said, that all modders are cheating kiddies. Well Mr. Oleg, I can understand your comment a little bit but most modders do such projects because they love warbirds and the atmosphere around this hobby. You also like warbirds but it is you job. You tell your crew you want to have a normandy map made in 30 days for example, because this is economical. If your crew is sitting half a year behind a normandy map, you whouldnt earn a penny. Modders have much more time and they make a lot of work with loving the details that cannot be payed.

- There could be a server, like an online war server, where you can fly 24 hours a day and 7 days in a week with stats and full real settings.

Keep on keeping on

chears

Waggel

When I picked up Oleg's original Il-2 Sturmovik in Jan. 2001 I knew next to nothing about the Eastern Front. I was soon reading new books about East Front battles and ac and soon became very absorbed in the sim.

Then came Forgotten Battles, AEP, Pacific Fighters and not so finally IL-2 46. Wow, what a performance it all was!

With rumor of the Sound and generic cockpit mod and then AAA came quickly on its heals, I was very excited to finally be able to fly those ac (in cockpit) I always wanted to fly!

But the brilliant minds that have continued to grow and multiply here over the last 6 to 8 months has ceased to blow me away! I have to wonder what new heights this placed will hit 6 months, a year or more from now. I love this place and the amazing modders, it's getting harder and harder to keep up with all of it Confusedhock:

Thank You just doesn't seem like enough anymore :wink:

Hey, man, you rooles

Hey guys what happened to the "old" battle of Britain online map? Is abandoned?

Yes and no..

It's abandoned in the sense that I won't be releasing what I was working on.

It's not abandoned because my expanded English Channel map will include everything the original BoB map included, plus more. I'll also be able to release a 1941-44 version as well for later war Channel operations.

So, there will still be a Battle of Britian online map

Smile