Battle of France Map - Part 2 - WIP

This would finaly make me able to bomb the Rotterdam bridges with a Stuka :twisted:

Keep up the good work Big Grin

Tigershark Wrote:This is one of my top maps I have been following, you are doing such a great job asheshouse.. considering how big and how populated this map will be, it will probably be very tedious putting all those objects in by hand... so I strongly urge you give this a try!!! Arrow viewtopic.php?t=3816

Big Grin keep up the good work and I hope, for the community sake, that you have oodles and oodles of free time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TS

BUMP :!:

Thanks Tigershark.
I will definitely be trying out the new tool.
Before I can use it properly I need to finish my town/village templates.

In the meantime I've been researching Luftwaffe bases in Germany and now have an Order of Battle for 10th May 1940 which gives all of the airfield names. I am very tempted to extend the map east to include Bonn, Koln and Dusseldorf. Most of the larger bases were located on the east bank of the Rhine. This would give realistic flight times rather than just putting the airfields in fictional locations on the east edge of the map.

To do that this tool would be useful, but no one has shown interest in it yet.

viewtopic.php?p=41345#41345

I guess in the first hop forward the Luftwaffe must have used airfields in Luxembourg but I haven't got any locations for those yet, if they exist?

Building village templates -- all credits to the creators of the Slovakia map.
But I think these will look pretty good to represent Northern France, Belgium, etc.
Progressing to the point where I can use Delco's new AutoPop tool.

[Image: Untitled-8.jpg]

D520 of the Armee de l'Air patrols the R. Semois in the Ardennes (bit of pruning required)

[Image: Untitled-9.jpg]

nice fiew on the horrizon.

Template for sk_DownCity.tga texture completed.
This will be edge of large towns and main villages.
Also well advanced with templates for sk_MidCity.tga for centres of large towns
and sk_country_mount.tga for smaller villages.
Thinking of doing one for industrial areas as well but larger industrial sites really need to be placed manually.

I am thinking of extending the map north to pick up the three airfields around The Hague, and the Arnhem bridges (Market Garden), east to the Rhine to pick up the Rhine airfields and south so as to include the R. Aisne, possibly down to just north of Rheims where there are some useful airfields.

[Image: Untitled-10.jpg]

Is that one a 1600 template? This is awesome, looks great!

Really impressive!

That must kill framerates though, mustn't it?

That's only an 800x800m template.

Framerates are beginning to be affected on my system which is not high spec but its still ok.
Will be fine on a higher spec machine.

asheshouse Wrote:That's only an 800x800m template.
Oh. too small, it isn't even a 1kmx1km, right??? Cry

Template for sk_MidCity.tga texture completed.
This one is for the centre of large towns.

Canonuk -- I appreciate the concerns about framerates but I think it will be easier to prune out objects if I have to rather than find that I havent used the limits of my pc.
Hell, it might even be worth getting a new PC just to get it to work properly.

All my work is being done on an ageing 2.0GHz processor with Radeon 9200 128MB graphics card.

Alien_12 -- Sorry! this is still only 800x800m. I will try to do better.

[Image: Untitled-11.jpg]

Wow you

Asheshouse, you have come this far... you cannot trun back and let this be an abandon project... The community wants you to finish!! finish my boy finish!!!

I am truly looking forward to this one...

cheers!!

TS

Midcity looks quite convincing, I also think it's not going to drop too much the FPS, object density is not that high I think. Cool!