Battle of France Map - Part 2 - WIP

Asheshouse, I see no trees in the villages or towns. Is this because you think the game will explode if you increase the number of objects even more?

Fabianfred -- Adding chateaux will be something for later enhancement. I'm not intending to go to that level of specific detail at the moment. -- Unless something catches my eye (see below).

Lowfighter -- My graphics card doesn't support Perfect settings so the auto generated trees are missing. The specific tree objects were a victim of my object cull, in efforts to get things working without too much stuttering of the graphics.

Now for a little update. This is the fortified town of Rocroi, from the Vauban era, just west of the R Meuse. Too good an air navigation feature to miss out.

[Image: Untitled-23.jpg]

[Image: Untitled-25.jpg]

Just set forest = 2 in the conf.ini. On some systems additional trees don't appear with forest = 3, don't know wy. Don't think it's a generall matter of perfect settings. With '2' the trees look a little bit different but are still atmospheric.

I already have set forest = 2, but I don't think my graphics card supports hardware shaders.
So I have never been able to see all the trees which appear in other map images.

No choice but to upgrade the card I think, but I would rather put off that move until I can upgrade the whole PC.

Luxembourg-Sandweiler

Still a bit of sorting of taxi routes to do (now done). At the moment the Ju-52 rips off its wing on the hanger :lol: Also a height error on the runway which affects the textures.

[Image: Untitled-28.jpg]

The town buildings are omitted in this view, because it is my working file. The master file has the towns completed but needs to be merged with the working file.

Fifteen airfields completed include:

Sedan-Douzy, Liege-Bierset, Charleville-Mezieres, Wiltz, Cambrai-Epinoy, Luxembourg-Sandweiler, St Hubert, Nivelles, St Quentin-Roupy, Montcornet, Mauberge-Elesmes, Guise-Villers
Luftwaffe airfields at Aachen-Merzbruck, Losheim and Koln-Ostheim** (at map edge)

Minor fix required to complete:

Laon-Chambry

Still to do for the first map issue:

Valenciennes-Denain (old airfield plus new site under construction)

Standard airfield setup includes a minimum of 8 aircraft stands. May need to increase the capacity later for larger airfields.

Good work, keeper going...!!!

Smile

Thanks for the encouragement.
Continuing progress on airfields. Only five more to do at most for the first issue, but there will now be a slight delay as I sort out Luxembourg.

Decided to add in the River Alzette. The city of Luxembourg just didn't look right without a river.
--- map_c is done but now I need to go back to map_h and also sort out all the additional bridges which are introduced. Smile

-- Right! -- done that. Now back to airfields again.

A quick statistic -- The total bridge count is now up to 516!!

As long as I can keep the bridge count running ahead of the number of posts I do I ought to eventually finish :lol:

Only 1 airfields to complete and 1 to amend taxiways, before the first issue. (see edited earlier post).

Buildings in master file now amended to accommodate the addition of the R Alzette in Luxembourg and master file successfully merged again.

Just as a reminder, the total map is 400x270.4km.
The first issue will have the southeast quarter fully populated.
That is from coords 164.8,0 to 400,118.4

This is Luxembourg and R. Alzette with Sandweiler Airfield in the background.

[Image: Untitled-29.jpg]

Looking good Asheshouse.

Very nice !!! :lol:

I can't remember and can't find answer : is the map 1:1 ?

Thanks

Yes. Map is 1:1

Cool and cooler !!! :o Big Grin

Can't wait for this one !

dup Wrote:Cool and cooler !!! :o Big Grin

Can't wait for this one !

Sorry ....... bad news ......... you're gonna have to wait........like the rest of us.....lol

The only way to get around not waiting is to kill yourself.....but then you'd still have to wait...to be re-born/grow up.....by which time even BoBSOW may be out :roll:

I am french, and when you began your map, I was afraid that it is a bad map.
But now, when I am seeing all your pics, I admit that this map will be brilliant !!!

THX for your work.

Thanks for the comments LAL_RONE. I hope it will live up to your expectation. The first issue will still be very much a work in progress but hopefully will inspire mission builders to get involved.

I am continuing to find new bits of info. My current reading is Valliant Wings, by Norman Franks, about the Battle and Blenheim squadrons in BoF. I've found reference in that to a Luftwaffe Advanced Landing Ground at Losheim, which just within the map area, near to St Vith, so this must be added.