the bridge altitude problem...no solution but...

So we have this problem that bridges can't be placed at altitude above zero. Big one.
Some builders like FabianFred has assembled with great talent improvised bridges. These bridges are not functional though, the vehicles will not cross them. Now I don't know if there's a solution, but if it is it will involve programming. But i was thinking that even if we can't have at the moment functional bridges we can maybe take all the 3d bridge files and create some bridge segments as items in the "Objects" menu, just like simple objects. Then even if these will be not functional (vehicles will not cross) at least they will have the normal appearance of bridges...

Ups, I just found there are some bridges or bridge segments already in the static objects menu which are accesible via FMB map mode (houses of Piter submenu) ...

Ups again, forget about my second post, those are just the huge bridge segments we allready had in normall FMB, no use...

... you mean take bridge mesh and break it a part and then import parts as separated meshes ( objects) ..... huh , i'm not sure but that seams like lot of work ... FC would know for sure

but it will be useful ... especially for my project

cheers
Z

BTW ...those 'home-made' bridges on my Thai map DO allow trains and vehicles to cross....

they will in fact cross over the open water of the rivers...but I just put the bridges there to make it look a little better :wink:

The only downside is that the bridges are not really destroyed by bombs...just the components get their damage model and 'look' damaged... but the trains and vehicles can still cross

although i must admit I always hated it when a train or vehicle column on a bridge disappeared completely if the bridge was destroyed :roll:

Yes, that's what I mean Zo, not sure there's so much work, I estimate maybe 1 hour or less, but I might be wrong IF something goes tricky and needs programming, check the bridge files if you have them already...
I'll try next days perhaps, but my mind is now focused more on my yearly mountain pilgrimage here Big Grin :

[Image: DSC00131.jpg]

fly_zo Wrote:... you mean take bridge mesh and break it a part and then import parts as separated meshes ( objects) ..... huh , i'm not sure but that seams like lot of work ... FC would know for sure

but it will be useful ... especially for my project

cheers
Z

So the vehicles don't bump into your bridge objects? That's nice Big Grin
PS: any chance to really populate you towns and villages? I know you had problems using autopop etc but post them in the forum and you'll get help for sure, asheshouse, Zo etc...

fabianfred Wrote:BTW ...those 'home-made' bridges on my Thai map DO allow trains and vehicles to cross....

they will in fact cross over the open water of the rivers...but I just put the bridges there to make it look a little better :wink:

The only downside is that the bridges are not really destroyed by bombs...just the components get their damage model and 'look' damaged... but the trains and vehicles can still cross

although i must admit I always hated it when a train or vehicle column on a bridge disappeared completely if the bridge was destroyed :roll:

Even if vehicle do bump into the bridge objects, by their usual backing and shunting they usually manage to find their way across.....

you should watch the tank units trying to get through the tank obstacles and trenches in the new Libya map....lol