question for team pacific.

would it be possible to create a map that enrolled the entire pacific in one map?

Theoretically, yes............ In practice, however, there seems to be a limit in the map size that IL2 will load, of around 14400 x 14400 pixels for map_c- anything larger apparently won't load. At 1:1 scale this translates to, at 50 metres per px, 720 x 720 km. So to make a single map of the whole PTO it would be necessary to remove the size limit, which is most probably hard-coded into the sim. Next, it would take several years to make such a map- the Slot map took several months of hard work so taking the extra land mass such a map would have into account you would need a LOT more time- it's the detailing of the land mass that consumes many hours. Finally, how quickly would you want such a map to load??????????????
The alternative is to stick to the 14400 x 14400 pixels size and compress the PTO to fit......... and probably end up with a scale of 1:10 or worse, which is clearly not practical unless the planes etc are also scaled down........... resulting in a new sim.

danger Wrote:would it be possible to create a map that enrolled the entire pacific in one map?

So if I'm getting this correctly, basically what you are asking for is about 1/2 the world's surface on a single Il2 map?

The sheer demand this type of map would place on my system while creating it, and then on your system while trying to fly on it is mind boggling.

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC

Skunkmeister Wrote:
danger Wrote:would it be possible to create a map that enrolled the entire pacific in one map?

So if I'm getting this correctly, basically what you are asking for is about 1/2 the world's surface on a single Il2 map?

The sheer demand this type of map would place on my system while creating it, and then on your system while trying to fly on it is mind boggling.

so .... where is the problem? :wink:

while at it , make the other half too .....

cheers
Z

lol, i only asked if it was possible...... :wink:

danger Wrote:lol, i only asked if it was possible...... :wink:

sorry , couldn't resist :oops:

sure it's possible, but it would be so scaled that i doubt in use of such map

Z

fly_zo Wrote:
danger Wrote:lol, i only asked if it was possible...... :wink:

sorry , couldn't resist :oops:

sure it's possible, but it would be so scaled that i doubt in use of such map

Z
i know mate lol.

ROFLMAO...Fly_zo, that gave me a tremendous belly laugh m8...too funny...I know my signature says "Team Pacific - We Deliver", but there's a limit danger Big Grin

No its not possible in IL-2 - even with computers much more powerful than those in use today.

Why? Because in Oleg's world the earth is flat, whereas the earth is not. On small maps of a few 100 km size this doesn't make much difference but on a map the size of the pacific reality would become seriously distorted around the edges.
In fact the closer you get to the west coast of the US the more distorted reality would become. --- Now I'm drifting off the topic. Sorry Smile

We all are using Microdem to get basic files... sometimes by merging some STRM files... 6000x6000 pixels each file

... but Microdem also has limitations, you can merge a square of 4x4 files but no more... I wished to add Formose with my Philippines map... it was near possible... almost all Formose was in a fourth strm file on north... excepting the northern part which was in a fifth strm file... and I got an error message "Grid too large..." from Microdem Sad

... so for whole Pacific !