Sky too dark at high alt

Is there a mod to make the sky less dark at high altitudes?
I reglarly fly at 35000 feet and the sky is nowhere near as dark as depicted in the game. The in game sky at 20000 feet looks more like 60000 feet.

The game shows altitude in meters by default so 20,000 is around 60,000 ft

I think it looks better

Have you looked outside a plane when its flying

hmm i think i see DARK BLUE SKY

ah maybe just me

agree with dogtail2, plus in daylight, even at 41000ft (my highest yet) there's no star by daylight, contrary to the sim.

This problem has been reported to Oleg years ago, but it's a "game limitation", he wrote. Now if anyone mods one day, i'll be a happy camper, but noone found any related file yet, afaik.

RAF_Leigh Wrote:Have you looked outside a plane when its flying

hmm i think i see DARK BLUE SKY

ah maybe just me

I fly Fokker F100 for a living (cruise altitude 35000 feet), so I have looked outside a plane when its flying :roll: I dont see Dark blue sky.

I know the game is in meters. I made the conversion. 6000 meter = 19685 feet = SKY TOO DARK

Most of the commercial flights I've been on cruise around 30,000 feet and the only time I've seen a dark sky and stars was at dusk and at night. During the day the sky at 30,000 feet appeared clearer, but no stars were visible. This is a long standing issue with Il2.

at high altitudes the sky is darker, and arround 30000 meters it's black

I agree it's too dark, I also thought that a couple of times. The picture below was made at around 6000meters / ca. 20k feet.
I think it depends also on weather / humidity conditions (haze) of the air - the clearer the darker, but in the sim its generally way too dark at that level.
Now at 35k feet this is different, I think, I've seen some pretty dark blue skies on my flights up there. I also have pictures of that.

Cheers,
Mark

[Image: 800_IMGP1712corr1.jpg]

khirareg Wrote:at high altitudes the sky is darker, and arround 30000 meters it's black

Let's not confuse meters with feet, we'll leave that error to NASA :roll:. 30,000 meters equals 98,425 feet, Il2 doesn't allow flights to that altitude. I'm sure the sky is dark at 30,000 meters, but we are talking about the sky at 9,000 to 10,000 meters (roughly 30,000 feet).

I have to agree with the issue of the sky being too dark. I think most of us have probably flown in commercial airliners at some point, normally at or around 30,000 ft (10000m). I have never seen the sky "IL2 dark" at that altitude. I have never liked "IL2 dark" from the beginning.

If a mod could be made to replace the sky colour I think it would be popular.

I second that. I never really liked the colour. I prefered the low level fighting over the eastern front for that reason - and after all that

stansdds Wrote:
khirareg Wrote:at high altitudes the sky is darker, and arround 30000 meters it's black

Let's not confuse meters with feet, we'll leave that error to NASA :roll:. 30,000 meters equals 98,425 feet, Il2 doesn't allow flights to that altitude. I'm sure the sky is dark at 30,000 meters, but we are talking about the sky at 9,000 to 10,000 meters (roughly 30,000 feet).

eemm..... i have gone to 50k meters with the me163 :roll:

im sure someone has a pic of himself at that altitute, i sadly didnt make a pic of that Sad

sure it was with unlimited fuel ,but with full throttle me163 went there nose almost vertical! :lol: :lol: :lol:

but yeah, at that altitute the earth looks "broken", but the sky is about as dark as at 10k meters. so it stops going darker at about that altitute

just my 2 cents..

-lollpea

I just noticed this discussion and I had to enter my 2-cents worth.

I completely agree with Dogtail2. I also fly high altitude jets for a living and have spent a great percentage of my life at altitudes between 10000 and 12000 meters (about 30000 to 39000 feet) (I even look out the windows most of the time). The dark color of the sky at these altitudes is one of the only things I don't like about this flight sim. It's actually so dark it's kind of ridiculous. I would dearly love to see a fix for this. I'm guessing that if the darkness went away then the stars would also. It's also a bit silly to see the stars at these altitudes during daylight hours.

I think you first of all have to consider what makes the sky blue,

"The sky appears blue to us on a clear day, because the atoms of nitrogen and oxygen in the atmosphere separate the suns white light into its many colors, and scatter them throughout the atmosphere.
The wavelength of the blue light scatters better than the rest, predominates over the other colors in the light spectrum, and makes the sky appear blue to us.
The scientific name for this phenomenon is the Tyndall effect, more commonly known as Rayleigh scattering.
This phenomenon describes the way in which light physically scatters when it passes through particles in the earths atmosphere that are 1/10th in diameter of the color of the light. The light spectrum ranges in wavelength from red to violet, and, since the wavelength of the blue light passes through the particles with greater ease than the wavelengths of the other colors of light, the sky appear blue to the naked eye.
"

Then ask yourself if there is more O2 and N in the upper atmosphere, my guess is nope!