Stalingrad: destroyed factories/debris fields

A new Stalingrad map would be epic.

These are some old shots from a Stalingrad project I began a long time ago, before there were any map tools, mods etc:

[Image: Stalingrad1.jpg]

[Image: Stalingrad2.jpg]

[Image: Stalingrad3.jpg]

[Image: Stalingrad4.jpg]

[Image: Stalingrad5.jpg]

Is a realistic, seasonal map of Stalingrad of interest to the community?

I would like to see a really hardcore Stalingrad map remake...both summer and winter.For the winter map I would like to gauge the possibility of the factories to be destroyed...perhaps templates done for autopop.

Thoughts on this?

It's a good idea, makes sense. I'm in favour of this.

Yes I agree very much that Stalingrad deserves a better ground simulation, I'll help at least with solving possible technical issues if you want to start such a project...
Unfortunately destroyed objects can't be incorporated into the map actors.static...

Hi all,

I may be wrong about this, but I think there is a way to incorporate destroyed objects. You simply have to clone the object(s) in question and swap out the conles' "live_mesh" for their corresponding "dead_mesh." This however would require a bit of time doing the tedious cloning and swaping, and may result in a static.ini nearly twice as long as it is now. But, again, like I say, I may be wrong about this. ~S~

March_Hare

Winter stalingrad really needs a good retexture. The snow is pretty boring! Vpmedia's reskin of summer is great though. Still in favour of work to improve it regardlesses

Yes, I would be interested in a remake. But I'm not sure how the winter landscape could be improved. Snow is snow is snow.

No doubt some of the great new winter textures being used could be added to a Stalingrad winter map.

I would be willing to hand-build destroyed factories/cities if need be, but it would take a considerable amount of time.

CUJO, no matter how long it would take, it would be great to have a more realistic Stalingrad, we have now so many things we can do...

Also it would be cool if for winter at least we'd have also the city/factory TEXTURES placed on Stalingrad reflect destruction...also maybe for the last phase to have a field snow texture with darker "dots" to reflect the abandoned/destroyed technique half buried in the snow etc. Just apply it selectively here and there around Pitomnik Gumrak etc..

@March Hare you're right, that way of having them "destroyed" in the actors.static is possible! :wink:

lowfighter Wrote:CUJO, no matter how long it would take, it would be great to have a more realistic Stalingrad, we have now so many things we can do...

Also it would be cool if for winter at least we'd have also the city/factory TEXTURES placed on Stalingrad reflect destruction...also maybe for the last phase to have a field snow texture with darker "dots" to reflect the abandoned/destroyed technique half buried in the snow etc. Just apply it selectively here and there around Pitomnik Gumrak etc..

Excellent...If we could put together a summer and winter map for Stalingrad that would rival the quality in textures of say the Slovakia map, I would be willing to hand-build Pitomnik, Gumrak and a destroyed winter Stalingrad. For Summer Stalingrad, those autopop factories you guys are working on look phenominal.

The war around Stalingrad, as well as the defense of Pitomnik and Gumrak airfields would be epic possibilities for gameplay. As well as the attempts to supply Stalingrad from the air, to evacuate the wounded from Pitomnik....wow...would be incredible.

It would take a good machine to fly over Stalingrad with that level of destruction...the pictures I posted is only a single city block Confusedhock:

March_Hare009 Wrote:Hi all,

I may be wrong about this, but I think there is a way to incorporate destroyed objects. You simply have to clone the object(s) in question and swap out the conles' "live_mesh" for their corresponding "dead_mesh." This however would require a bit of time doing the tedious cloning and swaping, and may result in a static.ini nearly twice as long as it is now. But, again, like I say, I may be wrong about this. ~S~

March_Hare

you are quite correct....and i was thinking just the same thing before getting to your reply :wink:

Question:

Is it possible to create a brand new textures map for Stalingrad and use custom textures?

I've seen photos of the Stalingrad campaign and the landscape does NOT(!!!!!) look like Slovakia or France! More like endless tracts of.......... steppe.

Rather than just use inappropriate textures from other maps, it might be better to get new ones made.

Mandrill of course no one would use endless Slovakia crop fields textures for Stalingrad :lol:
And yes of course it's possible to create new textures maybe better than the original ones, if you want to give it a try I can help getting you started...

Hello all !

As I recently reworked Ardennes winter map, I'm currently working on new winter Stalingrad & Kurland maps, with Mbug winter Slovakia textures and also brand new ones.
Not a very ambitious work: only texture changes... but these maps will keep 4.08m compatibility !

Screenshots soon !

Hehe, if CUJO is doing the ground objects and Gil is doing the textures there's one thing left: who's gonna do the Ju-52 cockpit? I can hardly picture more nightmarish missions than those flown by the Ju-52 pilots to supply "Fortress Stalingrad"...

... yeah, but that plane begs for new slot and proper FM .... if someone make that happen i can reskin pit to german style ...no problem

Z