Town house variation

I reskinned one Slovakia town house so now I have 3 variants and plan to do the same for several other town buildings. It's not quite good work, but maybe you'll get the concept I'm illustrating...

[Image: townhouse.jpg]

lowfighter Wrote:...It's not quite good work...
Yeah, right. Not good work and lowfighter in the same sentence is a bit of an oxymoron don't you think?

Looks good to me, at least from that distance.

Variety, variety, variety. It's the spice of life.

Oh yeah.

Nice work on the walls, but I would like to see a a bit of variation in the roofs too. Most of the time we see the houses from above.

Another tip: There are two white houses beside each other on the left hand side of the corner. Move the two a bit closer, and you'll have a single long building, adding more variation without increasing the number of object types.

I know this stuff Friendly, I was thinking about it startingyears ago (before and in the context of mission templates). You have a very similar way of thinking, I like that, interesting that you missed that trend I was developing together with Beebop, Chuck Older, Hawk, Spider, JackPoff etc etc Check out the mission template area on M4T (my individual templates I think you can't download as I asked my friend Beebop to remove them when the moders and the antimoders were very much at war :lol: )

The keyword for this concept is :color! European towns were very colorful (and are still especially the "centertown" parts which preserve still that beautiful maze of architecture coming from different centuries).

Yeah, I'm a new-commer I guess, a result of the same war I suppose Sad

lowfighter Wrote:...Check out the mission template area on M4T (my individual templates I think you can't download as I asked my friend Beebop to remove them when the moders and the antimoders were very much at war :lol: )...
lofi, I just checked @ M4T and several of your templates are still there, and available. If you uploaded anything that used the mod you might want to consider re-uploading them. M4T has changed it's policy and now they allow files that require the mod, just not any mods themselves. i.e. they won't host mod maps but they will host templates that require mod maps along with missions and campaigns that require mod maps, skins for mod planes, skins for mod objects (including re-skins of current objects, even utilities that require mods such as Crazy Schmidt's Mission Mate.
PM me my friend if I can be of help. I'd love to see more of your work available to an even wider audience.

Nice Work. I like them.

[img]

Here's what I have up to now. The first two on the left are the original Slovakia houses the rest are the variations. Again it's not very thorough work and I don't intend to spend too much time with it but for flying over a town done with these I think it gives the good feeling of variety. I plan a couple more variants maybe also with the bigger Slovakia buildings...

[Image: townhouse1.jpg]

Added 2 more...

[Image: townhouse2.jpg]

... variety may be spice of life but it's also a huge FPS killer :wink:

looks nice though

Z

Zo, I'm not so sure the dominant FPS factor is the variety.. I didn't test, but again who has tested that? Numbers? When I'm done with it I'll test FPS and post here.
There are various factors, seems that some objects have a bigger impact on FPS (big cranes, tall buildings, palms etc) so it's not clear in my head what and how much influence FPS on a given map...But I promise I'll post numbers :wink:

It's been my "experience", (not tested, quantified or anything remotely scientific), that many different objects = lower framerates. To wit;

*1 I make a forest with all the trees available, rotated to look as realistic as possilbe. Lowers framerate.
*2 I make the same size forest with only one type of tree, with rotations. Better framerate.
*3 I make the same forest as No.2 but do not rotate the objects. Maybe 1-2 FPS better than Forest 2...but boring to look at.

My thinking, (faulty though it may be), is the the CPU has to identify the object type, rotation and placement. That's a lot of work in Forest 1
In forest 2 it only has to identify one object and calculates rotation and position.
In forest 3 It only has to identify one object and placement.

So my "experience" would lead me to believe that fewer different objects would help keep framerates tolerable.

(I also have other 'crackpot' theories on such things as the origin of the human race but that's for another forum) :mrgreen:

Yes Beebop, it's of course all these factors:type, density of objects, no of types etc which combined would give the final FPS, but it needs quantify a bit, how much FPS drop if you do this or that..How much does FPS drop if I use 1 type or 10 types over extended town area etc...5 FPS drop, or maybe 10, or maybe 1000 :wink: ...?!

lowfighter Wrote:Zo, I'm not so sure the dominant FPS factor is the variety.. I didn't test, but again who has tested that? Numbers? When I'm done with it I'll test FPS and post here.
There are various factors, seems that some objects have a bigger impact on FPS (big cranes, tall buildings, palms etc) so it's not clear in my head what and how much influence FPS on a given map...But I promise I'll post numbers :wink:

well, when i did populate my BoB London ( private version) i used almost all variants of Slovakia town houses and it turned out unplayable ( on my rig) .... then i used same amount of buildings but just 3 type of houses ( for main population ) and it turned so good that i'm using it ever since even with Dgen campaign which have full TNT Normandy template incorporated in mission file.

But don't get me wrong here .... i don't believe that you should restrain your work because of my poor system .... after all we will all upgrade our hardware in near future when SoW BoB come ( in galaxy far far away :winkSmile

Z

Zo, it's many factors which affect FPS, and I really don't know the exact equation which takes into account all factors (PC power included). To give counter example to what you experienced : I have completely repopulated Moscow summer map some time ago, and I used virtually all "compatible" town buildings, Slovakia ones included. Density of buildings also significantly increased. Yet I didn't see a big FPS decrease with the new population if I flew over Vyasna which is quite a large city. I didn't measure FPS difference but I didn't notice a disturbing drop. (To me a very very disturbing drop is when I fly over Murmansk city for example ,what do you see if you fly over the same??). So this FPS dependence on various factors is not simple, but the fun thing is that as your experience makes you very cautious, my experience makes me confident :lol: We have different PC's and different configuration settings...
My PC is: 2000 Ghz CPU, I Giga of Memory and an ATI9700 video card, it was a very good configuration some 5-6 years ago I bought it, not anymore. Recently all weird symptoms: crashes and lately some very strong noises like BMW cars poping up suddenly (maybe some fan got ill or something). For this I found a brilliant remedy, when the noise starts I give a mighty kick to the desktop and it stops making noise, worked so far without exception! I like mechanical solutions :lol: