Western Europe winter textures ?

I began to make a try with Compans textures as a base.
Test on Normandy map :

[Image: test-normandie01.jpg]

[Image: test-normandie02.jpg]

...only one tex for now (don't consider the background) ... what do you think ?

Oh my god!!!!!!!! super Confusedhock:

Really great to see this work. Looks very palpable. Two comments.
1. Overall, what about reducing the colour saturation, and adding a bit of warm grey, cool brown - those greens look pretty healthy for winter.
2. What about thinning the texture of some (not all) of the trees, to represent deciduous trees that have lost their foliage - this might be too big a proposition, but it would sure look cool.

I am constantly grateful for the skill and care that goes into the work here. If only I could exert influence for the representaation of certain favoourite aircraft...all in good time.

von Kopfdorfer

...only one tex for now (don't consider the background) ... what do you think ?

I think it looks very good ... just the sort of light covering of snow that falls in western Europe often ...

Could you tell us which texture it is that you replaced with which other texture? I'd like to try this out myself.

nice Big Grin

Z

Now that's what I've been waiting for for a long time ! Great looking textures !

Cheers

Nico

[Image: Snow.jpg]

Reffering to the before mentioned colour saturation: I think the fields look good, it could even be brighter green as you can see in the photocompilation of the winterperiod in my country.
I would suggest to use trees without leaves which is usual during this time of year (except for the coniferous trees) and what to think of making a texture with mud and some melted snow/water on it? That would make the scenery more realistic.
Another thing (constructive criticism :wink: ): On screenshot 2 some fields are completely covered with snow and fields next to it hardly have any snow. My suggestion is to make the transitions more fluent.
Looking forward to seeing the other textures.

That is really good. Very nicely done. :wink:

Quote:Could you tell us which texture it is that you replaced with which other texture?

Well... the starting tex is "Compans_french_fields_1.tga" replaced by the one I made (only on my computer for now :wink:

Quote:On screenshot 2 some fields are completely covered with snow and fields next to it hardly have any snow. My suggestion is to make the transitions more fluent.

Yes but I noticed that some fields retain snow better than others... I don't know why but I like the result. But I suppose you're right, and I'll try to reduce snow cover on whiter ones !

Quote:What about thinning the texture of some (not all) of the trees, to represent deciduous trees that have lost their foliage

I tried something but 4.08 trees are not good for winter trees. I'll show that some day...

THx for all comments !

I also think some green fields could be greener. As long as you have ones with dead dry grass and other in plain brown earth, it'll look perfect. Still a bit too much snow for what I'm used to, but I guess that's as excellent as it's going to get !

When will those nice textures be available to download ?

Cheers

Nico

Is there a tutorial on how to select landscapes and create the .tga files and insert them into the maps?

Quote:When will those nice textures be available to download ?

Only one was done, and has to be tuned ... Christmas is coming and I suppose you'll have to wait until next year :wink:

I think I won't provide them as standalone, but within a map repaint (as I did for Ardennes and soon for Stalingrad, Kurland & Balaton)

Very nice start! Absolutely more convincing than default winter. Can't wait for updates!

Titus

Can't wait Maestro!
Confusedhock: Big Grin Confusedhock: Big Grin

Excellent work!