DBF files for converting SRTM data

What does everyone use?
In Clockwatcher's tutorial there is a link to ELEV_COLORS-corrected v7.dbf. I've tried this but depending on the terrain it doesn't always give the right result.
Using a DBF Viewer I've tried making my own with varying degrees of success. Has anyone else? Does it HAVE to have a logarithmic set of values? (I tried a constant increment table but no use at all.)

I guess what I'm really asking is - is it a hard and fast thing; is there a golden rule or what?

:cheers:

"I've tried this but depending on the terrain it doesn't always give the right result."
Dunkelgrun, can you be more explicit?

Clockwatcher got the scale by measuring heights in game for every possible gray color. Take a map_h all black (rgb=0) and place some pixels of rgb=1 then some with rgb=2 and so on till rgb=255. Measure the height in game for each region. The scale is clearly not linear and has bigger height jumps at large rgb values, that is also large height errors at large heights Cry

I downloaded a corrected curve named : Correction_curve_mr_N_map_h.dbf (09sep2008)

:roll: ... but I can't remember where I got it and who was the author !!!???

It is a little smoother than Clockwatcher curve, if you want, I will post it on a server...

For DBF values modification, I use Visual Objects Trial (limited but permanent), it's quite easy to use and so you can save a lot of DBF files for heights or textures loadable in Microdem (for me, dbf files saved with OpenOffice or Office were not accepted by Microdem)

delvpier Wrote:I downloaded a corrected curve named : Correction_curve_mr_N_map_h.dbf (09sep2008)

:roll: ... but I can't remember where I got it and who was the author !!!???

It is a little smoother than Clockwatcher curve, if you want, I will post it on a server...

For DBF values modification, I use Visual Objects Trial (limited but permanent), it's quite easy to use and so you can save a lot of DBF files for heights or textures loadable in Microdem (for me, dbf files saved with OpenOffice or Office were not accepted by Microdem)

I made it 8)

Grab it here http://redwulf.adelby.dk/CoastAlign/Cor ... _map_h.dbf

See entry by LSA at the bottom of discussion viewtopic.php?t=1714&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=microdem+correction+table&start=45

Thanks for the replies chaps.
I'll give your curve a go, Redwulf, and thanks for the link to the thread. I must have missed that one somehow, but it confims what I'd thought.

I tried a purely linear set of values but the whole map came out very flat.
Something else I was experimenting with is adjusting the tables to get rid of the 'cliffs' at the edge of the map. If the minimum height on the map (no coast) is, say, 80m, then that's the height I wanted to be RGB=0. By adjusting the tables it also removes the 'canyons' around the rivers caused by lowering them to 0m. I've more or less cracked this, but have dropped it for awhile to experiment with coastal maps.

:cheers: