Has anyone used Fabian Fred's river and canal plates?

I'm working on a map_C for Smolensk/ Belarus and the thing has umpteen zillion rivers and streams and only a half-dozen of those are of any real size. When I checked out the original Oleg Smolensk, the rivers look not-great. Every little stream is the width of the Dneiper. This is also useless for any real navigation.

The FF idea sounds great - especially, if you use "riverbank" type .tga's around each plate to make it look realistic.

Has anyone tried FF's idea? Does it impact fps or give any other problem?

I put a few near the Mingladon strip at Rangoon on the thai map...seems Ok...no real FPS loss

I got them with the 1.1 ui, I plan to use them on the Korean War Map as permanent objects if I can!

They are great for flat land but what about for different elevations like steep valley gorges that twist and turn allowing you to see under the river plate?

I'm new at this but it seems like a great tool. The color is perfect for Burma rivers.
Also, When I place the object there are 3 shown at one time. How do I place one and then the others?
FabianFred, while you're here, is there a way to change all rivers to this muddy brown color?

I believe you can just colour-substitute in your graphics program.

I'm interested in whether the plates can be used on uneven terrain as well.

Wouldn't the ocean change to brown too if you changed rivers to brown?
FF's brown river on uneven ground looks OK from the air but if you plan on being close to the ground then you will be able to see under the river where the elevation changes. It just depends on how and where you want to use it.

CzechTexan Wrote:Wouldn't the ocean change to brown too if you changed rivers to brown?
FF's brown river on uneven ground looks OK from the air but if you plan on being close to the ground then you will be able to see under the river where the elevation changes. It just depends on how and where you want to use it.

Sounds like you would need to work a little with the map_h in river valleys. Have you tried using the plates?

Sorry, I thought you were talking about just altering the colour of FF's plates. I didn't realize you were referring to the in-game rivers.

I think they can be made brown. The game itself makes them brown at certain greyscale values which it interprets as being "shallow". You would have to make sure you use this value on map_t and map_c and not the value for "deeper" rivers.

I am river-obsessed because my Central Russia map is basically rivers with no coastline. The rivers are brown and not that deep or large and there are a lot of them!

If someone has tried doing what I suggest, please post.

mandrill7 Wrote:
CzechTexan Wrote:Wouldn't the ocean change to brown too if you changed rivers to brown?

Sounds like you would need to work a little with the map_h in river valleys. Have you tried using the plates?

Sorry, I thought you were talking about just altering the colour of FF's plates. I didn't realize you were referring to the in-game rivers.

I think they can be made brown. The game itself makes them brown at certain greyscale values which it interprets as being "shallow". You would have to make sure you use this value on map_t and map_c and not the value for "deeper" rivers.

I tested them but haven't used any yet. I guess I should flatten the valleys in Map_H that would help.

Does anyone know which greyscale value could change the shallow river color to brown? Which Load line is changed?