Using "land" textures as water?

Not as crazy as you might think. In my Smolensk map, there are vast areas of swamp. I don't really want these to be passable to vehicles. I'm thinking of marking them as "water" in the map_c and then using a swamp or "coastal" texture, with some of FF's narrow river plates to mark the streams through the swamp.

Does this have any real chance of working, do you think?

If you mark them as water in map_c, it won't be land. The engine will place water.

What you need to do is edit ed_map_t.tga and ensure that you have water pixels (i.e. RGB values for any the 'water' slot in your load.ini) over the area you want to be impassible.

I was wondering about something similar for creating paddy fields. A textured kronstadt plate or somesuch with alpha channel holes to allow the water reflections to be seen through them. Hmm :?

I've been playing around with something similar for the reefs around Midway Atoll. (Hence all my recent questions about textures! :wink: )
I took a screenshot of shallow water and created a texture tile from it, then saved it as a LAND texture file. Drew on the reefs in map_c, blurred them and filled with the reef tile on map_t. I've just about cracked it; I now have a band of 'water' denoting the reefs, that's almost indistinguishable from the surrounding shallows, with waves breaking on it. Ships won't cross it (boo, I wanted them to be wrecked when they struck it!)

I was thinking of using this idea for swamps too; creating a 'watery swamp' land tile and placing it in a shallow lake. Similar to your idea.

:cheers:

EDIT: Added screenshot. The 'water' tile needs a bit of de-saturating still.

[Image: grab0000.jpg]

dunkelgrun Wrote:I've been playing around with something similar for the reefs around Midway Atoll. (Hence all my recent questions about textures! :wink: )
I took a screenshot of shallow water and created a texture tile from it, then saved it as a LAND texture file. Drew on the reefs in map_c, blurred them and filled with the reef tile on map_t. I've just about cracked it; I now have a band of 'water' denoting the reefs, that's almost indistinguishable from the surrounding shallows, with waves breaking on it. Ships won't cross it (boo, I wanted them to be wrecked when they struck it!)

I was thinking of using this idea for swamps too; creating a 'watery swamp' land tile and placing it in a shallow lake. Similar to your idea.

Can you keep me informed of how things work out? I'm still working on the map_c and it will take me a while to get onto tiles, etc.

Neat! Looks quite realistic!

mandrill7 Wrote:Can you keep me informed of how things work out? I'm still working on the map_c and it will take me a while to get onto tiles, etc.

Will do. The map was nearly finished but I decided to redo the runways on Midway. Looking at John Ford's film, and the only aerial photo I've been able to find, it's obvious that they were surfaced. Probably a light concrete, with a border of coral sand all round.

dunkelgrun Wrote:
mandrill7 Wrote:Can you keep me informed of how things work out? I'm still working on the map_c and it will take me a while to get onto tiles, etc.

Will do. The map was nearly finished but I decided to redo the runways on Midway. Looking at John Ford's film, and the only aerial photo I've been able to find, it's obvious that they were surfaced. Probably a light concrete, with a border of coral sand all round.

The runways are still on Eastern Island dunkelgrun.
Go to Wikipedia and use the search function to find "Midway Island"
I was able to zoom in to 200 feet with Acme Mapper and Geo Names in the Satellite view.
With what you have this may help ??

Wheelsup

Cheers  Smile
Wheelsup_cavu

[Image: m4tsig.jpg]

wheelsup_cavu Wrote:
dunkelgrun Wrote:

The runways are still on Eastern Island dunkelgrun.
Go to Wikipedia and use the search function to find "Midway Island"
I was able to zoom in to 200 feet with Acme Mapper and Geo Names in the Satellite view.
With what you have this may help ??

Wheelsup
Don't worry, I've crawled all over Google Earth and every other satellite/aerial picture I can find! It's still not clear what the surface was, but being new it would be unlikely to have as many lines (weeds?) in it as it does today. Also, I can't find whether it was surfaced again after June 42. Sand Island airstrip was begun after the battle, but Eastern Island was still in use for a fair while.
The construction had not long been completed, but John Ford's film clearly shows a light tan colouring, with a much lighter border. It might be concrete or it might be crushed coral and sand packed down. Either way, they've got to be depicted differently from the default map, that's for sure.