Stupid question

What is the largest size of map you can have in IL-2?

Not large enough!

Stupid question = stupid answer :lol:

No, seriously, sorry, i don't know.

i believe zip_Alpen is the most system demanding map so far ( its full version) so you could use it for reference

reg

Z

Various factors are involved including the size of the actors.static
With a basic unpopulated map the limiting factor seems to be the map_c size and this depends on the complexity of coastlines and river detail etc, not just the total size.

I have a draft map where map_c is 12416x14400 or 620.8x720.0km at 1:1 scale. That was close to the limit my system would load.

There doesnt seem to be a limit in map size for the game, however there does seem to be a limit for the average machine.

At one point I made a 1:1 scale map_c of a pacific islands chain that was 29952 x 7424, and the game did not want to load the ed_m01 map (kneemap), it just gave me a white blank screen. You could zoom in and see the land masses however.

The big thing about creating large maps is not only getting them to run, but also to actually get them in a workable format and size without it being a resource hog. Working large map_c files will make computers with 2gigs of ram and a good cpu crawl and beg for mercy.

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

I usually have a limit on what Microdem can handle on my machine when it computes the map area size. Anything over 9000 pixels square just doesn't get computed ... which is a shame, but there you have it ...

And Zip_Alpen map is loadable in the game itself but almost invariably crashes when being used in game. I think it is about 16000 x 6000 pixels.

I still play the full version Zip_Alpen map without crashing anymore. I used to have a CTD everytime after about 20 minutes of playing but somebody replied how to avoid that. When you start press the key for recording your track and you can play as long as you want.
Don't know why but it works. Big Grin