hawaii request for talented mapmaker

Here's a result I got by combining a dem for the whole island, while overlaying a Google Maps shot of Pearl Harbor itself and doing some retouching by hand...

To show docks more realistically it would probably need some more open water in the harbor itself, that can afterwards be covered up by plates or objects ... and I suppose the harbor is now of a somewhat different shape than in 1941, but even so it's just to show that it can be done fairly easily - at least in the begin stages. On making the harbor itself with all the objects needed - I wouldn't even know where to begin or wish to try ...

[img][Image: Pearl-002.jpg]

[/img][Image: Pearl-001.jpg]

damm, you lads are awesome. i would live to have a go at building the docks etc and i have pics of ALL the airfield that where in use at the time, i am reading map tutorials now

I'd say that the red areas would need to made into water, so that it could be overlaid with harbor objects. Certainly on these places and possible other parts as well.

[img][Image: Pearl-002a.jpg]

and on the island map, I suspect this part of the harbor is more recent ... so info on 1940 size and area would be needed to reshape this ... but it's nothing that difficult to do once the info is on hand ...

[/img][Image: Pearl-001a.jpg]

If you wish, after some changes like this, you're welcome to the map to go your own way with it to your heart's content.

Agracier, check my pic. I have already done masses of research and you'll see that I've got the coastline as it was in 1941 (as close as the game allows). There's been a lot of changes around Honolulu since - tons of reclamation.

:cheers:

Right, i have made a copy of my game so i can start this map modding business. Smile

Hi Saburo, hello gentlemen,

what do you think about this:

[Image: ed_m01.jpg]

the whole map is nearly finished. I build the Hawaiian Islands from the scratch with nearly all important cities, military installations, airfields (military and commercial) roads, railroads ...

It was a lot of work (3/4 of a year) and I lost motivation because I think that nobody is interested in this map, although it is really nice to discover the islands and their landmarks with a plane. Yes, it is possible to start from the airfields and land of course.

I tried to represent the islands in the status of 1941. It is not easy to do this, because the military installations were permanently changing during course of war. So you could get lots of different development stages for the same airfield. It is not easy to decide which one represents the prewar situation (wheeler, ewa, kaneohe ...) Even more difficult for the smaller ones

During the course of time I worked on other "secret projects" concerning hawaii to improve the representation of hawaii 1941 (3d objects), but this takes a lot of time and so I had to accept that it is not possible for one person to realize all this stuff. Perhaps someone can help me! Why not working together?

Wanna see pictures?

That looks REALLY nice porto.

Quote:...I lost motivation because I think that nobody is interested in this map...
There are a lot of us "Mapaholics" in the community.

"Hello, I'm Boris and I'm a mapaholic. My last map was downloaded less than an 24 hours ago. I can't seem to stop. But frankly I'm not sure I want to."

Believe me, a good map is always wanted here.

this looks very nice work, is it all to scale and could you post a pic of pearl preferably with a close up of ford and surrounding areas ?

Porto72: I think many people will be interested in this map.
If the rest looks as promising as your preview, please show us a little bit more :?

Yeah, the map scale is 1:1. I understand that you want to see the most important locations. But never forget the other islands. My intention was to represent also the other cities and airfields. It is very important for immersion to have fully populated islands. Let us begin with Hawaii (big island):

[Image: 2705200923-06-08.jpg]

Hilo Airport with Hilo and the Harbor, Mauna Kea in the backround

[Image: 2705200923-13-05.jpg]

Hotel complex in Hilo

and you were worried that members wouldn't be interested? goodness, your map looks fantastic and well detailed.

it looks very well made, the reason i asked about pearl, is because i want to do an accurate, to he letter, build of the attack , and the map that came with PF is very very lame, one cant even get battleship row in there properly or the docks built correct. i have very detailed photo's of the area and want to represent this.
Hawaii ia a very important map because it was the attack here that started the war for the Americans.

but it is good that you have made the chain, this is a job well done. i am impressed Big Grin

Some more pictures:

[Image: 2705200923-17-39.jpg]

Morse Field, in the Southern Tip of Big Island

[Image: 2705200923-23-01.jpg]

Kalaoa Airstrip, Kalaoa town, and Puu Lalakaukole and Mauna Loa in the backround

The task was to represent different climate zones on Big Island. Had to do a lot of try and error. The volcanoes are very huge: 4 km and this is also the maximum you can achieve with il2 map building. That was lot of work reshaping the mountains. The map was build using geodata of course.

again this is nice work chap, i have myself only just started on the map creation side of this( still working on the test map in fly's manual) but i can see that there is much that needs to be done. is there a link for this map or is it not finished yet. will you be working on it ?

Saburo, the original map of Oahu has the right dimensions, although not nice and not detailed enough. Did you build the battleship row with the generic American battleships? This King George class V ship is to large to represent the old us navy battle waggons. The USS Arizona was only 180m long. King george V is 230 m long!!!!!!! It is better to use the Marat Battleship to represent the old fashioned us battleships!

Some more pictures of Maui?

[Image: 2705200923-43-38.jpg]

Kahului

[Image: 2705200923-47-10.jpg]

Small Hana Airfileld

[Image: 2705200923-48-22.jpg]

NAS MAui, now used as a race track