hawaii request for talented mapmaker

Well, I was working on an updated version of the Il-2 Hawaii map last summer, but I stopped due to school starting. ( For those interested: viewtopic.php?p=78726&highlight=#78726 )

I must say though, Porto, your version looks absolutely amazing. It is an immense improvement over anything I could have done working from the stock map.

I'd like to offer you my services in finishing this map up should you need a hand. I'd be more than happy to help you get this thing released and into the hands of everyone. Smile

yes, i used the generic BB, but found that to have a line parked end to end of 4 was too long. also the docks would not fit anywhere. i tried to build using the pics i have( and they are very detailed) but it just would not fit properly. i have been building accurate missions for some 9 years in il2 so i know how to utilise the objects we have , but still it seems like the original map is somewhat out of scale and shape.

Porto, your map is far, far more advanced than mine. Gents, I think that this is the one that we should be working with.

:cheers:

i would like to see all 11 fields on Oahu and the naval air stations, maybe the barracks, docks and the fuel farms, set out how they should be. although i am a beginner at this, i am more than willing to help make this as realistic as possible. Big Grin Big Grin

i also think that with the quality of this base map, this could be turned into something special Big Grin

Thanks for your feedback guys. Now I am thinking about finishing my work and releasing the map. Some more eyecandy:

[Image: 280520090-26-08.jpg]

Honolulu with the old tower on the right position and now we have missing Diamond HEad in the Backround!!!!!!

All bases are finished:

Ewa, Wheeler, Ford Island, Bellows, Dillingham, several air strips, the coast bunker buildings ... Schofield Barracks, Tankfarms, the docks, missing Pearl city

I have to go to Bed now (living in Germany) take some sleep. I`ll show you more tomorrow

Excellent work!

I am curious to see how you've done Pearl Harbor itself. Would you mind posting some screen shots of that area once you have a chance?

i admire everyone's passion concerning the map. What one has to think about when investing the time and resources into making this map is the return on the investment.
The map is only good for a one day battle and the replayability is small. If the makers are ok with this, i look forward to see your quality and accuracy (within the limits of the game engine)

Well I think porto's work is tremendous. I certainly appreciate all the time, hard work and effort he has/is putting into it.
Quote: What one has to think about when investing the time and resources into making this map is the return on the investment.
The map is only good for a one day battle and the replayability is small.
Return on Investment: All the mod makers do this out of the goodness of their hearts and their desire to share with the community their talents at giving all of us more immersion and enjoyment. IMO the communities acceptance of a mod is more than adequate return for the investment. As a skinner and mission builder when even one person says "WOW, that's nice" I have full return on the time and effort I invested. When many say that I feel fulfilled. I would be astounded to learn I was alone in those feelings. And I would never even hint at discouraging a content maker/modder from completing their work.
Perhaps even more important is the feeling one gets when completing a daunting task such as this whether anyone else appreciates it or not, which won't be the case here I assure you.

The map is only good for one day: Yes, and what a day it was. Probably the most important day for both the United States and Japan in the modern era. That alone makes making this map worthwhile.

Replayabuility is small: I don't know about that. The missions I made (linked in a previous post here) have been enjoyed over and over by myself and those entering my server. It's a great skill trainer and always interesting to see how you do 'this time around'.

Bottom line:
This map and this day should be recreated and distributed to the community out of tribute to those who gave their lives that day and those who served their country in the 4 terrible years that followed.

Thank you porto for taking on this map and for doing such a good job with it.

understood. Passion for something can win out over logic many times,examples; crimes of passion, creation of fantasy planes that never flew, creation of maps were no combat took place (i'm not speaking of this map, but others), marriage to certian people, etc...

follow your passions

Yes, keep up the good work on this map. Swell job indeed!

Thrud Wrote:i admire everyone's passion concerning the map. What one has to think about when investing the time and resources into making this map is the return on the investment.
The map is only good for a one day battle and the replayability is small. If the makers are ok with this, i look forward to see your quality and accuracy (within the limits of the game engine)

Before the days of SEOW my squad played a hand-built campaign on the Hawaii map, which began with the Japanese landing on Niihau and Kauai the day after the initial attack. If you have a look at the forces available to both sides at the time it makes for a fascinating scenario. Once the Japanese capture the two airstrips on Kauai, an island that had next to no defences, do the US have enough ships and troops to kick them off again? Have the Japanese enough transports and equipment to consolidate their gains? Do they launch a third wave against Hawaii? Loads of stuff to ponder Smile.

:cheers:

I'd like to see a screenshot of your Hospital point
In my map/mission i tried to get the moving nevada to ground there and get swept around by the tide to face in the opposite direction..
On the default map there is a problem with the water around Ford Island..... to have the nevada as a moving ship it would not start from the correct mooring place... so in my mission it is already out of line at the start Cry

Hi fabianfred,

with my map, you have no chance of moving the nevada to the hospital point. It has something to do with the area of open water I think. If the canal is to narrow, no ship will move, like on the most rivers! Sorry for this!

I checked my actors.static file, because the newest version was corrupt. Now everything should be alright. I will show you more impressions of this map tomorrow.

Concerning the discussion about return of investment:
I started as a mission and campaign designer and my best campaign was a pacific campaign (my favorite theater). The Pearl Harbor map was the home base of the campaign. After each operation the pilot returned to Pearl testing new planes or for training purposes ...
The Pearl Harbor Raid itself was divided into several missions (for example: 1) you are in a training flight without ammo and got surprised by the first wave, task is to survive 2) After refueling and with enough ammo the task was to fight against second wave 3) third mission: look for the japanese fleet ...

Therefore the Pearl map was one of the important maps in my campaign

So there were enough reasons for me to build this map (and it was not in the focus of other mapmakers) ;-)