hawaii request for talented mapmaker

yes, it is looking perfect porto, you have done a truly impressive map here Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Looking really nice Porto. Just a quickie - was Wheeler actually surfaced by Dec 41? I was under the impression it was grass with a concrete ramp. Glad to see the runway aligned correctly :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Looking very good.

dunkelgrun Wrote:Looking really nice Porto. Just a quickie - was Wheeler actually surfaced by Dec 41? I was under the impression it was grass with a concrete ramp. Glad to see the runway aligned correctly :thumbsup:

then there would have to be 2 maps, one for surfaced and another for unsurfaced Sad

Porto, you really should do some editing to the shorelines in places such as the docks at Pearl and Kanaeohe. You're doing a great job here and it is extremely obvious how much effort you have put into this map.

I just think it would be a shame to not try to get things as close to real life as possible through making some slight changes to the height map. See, the height map data you get through MicroDEM, for example, does not take into account docks. Then, you have to shrink the data down so it works with Il-2. This whole process causes a heavy loss of detail, and things such as the docks, which should be filled with water if reproduced as accuartely as possible, end up covered by the shoreline.

I had to do such modifications to the original Il-2 Hawaii map when I was trying to update it. If you'd like, I'd be more than willing to help you make the changes necessary to improve the shorelines where required.

Just offering a suggestion and my assistance should you like some help, you're doing a wonderful job as it is, keep it up.

Dunkelgrun you could be right. I found no photo dated 1941 Dec, which could clearly show, that the runway was already paved or not paved. So I had to make a decision and chose to pave the runway of wheeler. All the photos dated 1942 show a clean paved runway. It looks better I think and the second reason is, that this is also a good compromise to Oahu in later years.

I read, that they began to pave the runway late in year 1941.

What do you think is the best way?

Maybe it's possible to find out in what condition the runway was on that day in December 1941. Maybe it would be great if it was only half or partially done? If it's meant to represent the state during the rest of the war, I'd vote for paved.

this was jan 41, i know it is B/W and hard to tell but it looks like half the width has a surface

[Image: ph1941janl.jpg]

SS, that's Ford Island rather than Wheeler Field. As an aside, in most of the photos of Ford around 41/42 it's really easy to see how the runway and ramp was paved in sections; it's a real checkerboard of different greys.
As for Wheeler Porto, leaving it as surfaced won't do any harm at all and it makes it more compatible with later war scenarios.

Ok, back to the shorelines: Should I get rid off overlapping shorelines ore should I add more shoreline to the docks? I want to integrate your ideas, but I still do not know exactly what you mean.

For example Ford Island:

[Image: 030620090-04-11.jpg]

What do you miss? There won`t be waves of course. Or do you mean the NAvy docks?

I would also say not to alter Wheeler. Thanks dunkelgrun and JAMF.

New pictures arrived:

[Image: 030620090-38-48.jpg]

and which one is the arizona?

[Image: 030620090-40-53.jpg]

dunkelgrun Wrote:SS, that's Ford Island rather than Wheeler Field. As an aside, in most of the photos of Ford around 41/42 it's really easy to see how the runway and ramp was paved in sections; it's a real checkerboard of different greys.
As for Wheeler Porto, leaving it as surfaced won't do any harm at all and it makes it more compatible with later war scenarios.

my bad mate sorry.
these pics are way to big to post but this is a very good site.
this is the flight line at wheeler just after the attack
http://hawaii.gov/hawaiiaviation/aviati ... fullscreen

Spartan10590 Wrote:Porto, you really should do some editing to the shorelines in places such as the docks at Pearl and Kanaeohe. You're doing a great job here and it is extremely obvious how much effort you have put into this map.

I just think it would be a shame to not try to get things as close to real life as possible through making some slight changes to the height map. See, the height map data you get through MicroDEM, for example, does not take into account docks. Then, you have to shrink the data down so it works with Il-2. This whole process causes a heavy loss of detail, and things such as the docks, which should be filled with water if reproduced as accuartely as possible, end up covered by the shoreline.

I had to do such modifications to the original Il-2 Hawaii map when I was trying to update it. If you'd like, I'd be more than willing to help you make the changes necessary to improve the shorelines where required.

Just offering a suggestion and my assistance should you like some help, you're doing a wonderful job as it is, keep it up.

The height map or map_C..?

as your B+W photos show....the tank farm tanks are much larger than any in the il2 Objects library...... so for my map i made new ones by reskinning the round Helsinki airport bulding and lowering it to below ground level...

[Image: 3004200811-27-45.jpg]

[Image: 3004200812-45-04.jpg]