NEW RULE... OFFICIAL AS OF TODAY !

... cos of increasing trend having custom textures with each new map i was thinking to revisit mods structure :

so all custom textures should be placed in new folder with author's prefix in name ( example " dlv_XXXX )

example :

Code:
...\MODS\MAPMODS\Maps\_Tex\ dlv_XXXX\ whatever you like ...

load.ini :

Code:
[FIELDS]
LowLand0 = dlv_XXXX/whatever you like/Spain_Tex_Brown_120.tga
Lowland1 = dlv_XXXX/whatever you like/Spain_Tex_Brown_121.tga
LowLand2 = dlv_XXXX/whatever you like/Spain_Tex_Brown_122.tga
LowLand3 =  dlv_XXXX/whatever you like/Spain_Tex_Brown_124.tga

you can have new folder for each new map or place all your files in one folder ( one with your prefix)

I believe this will make easier for update and managing texture files locally

opinions please

Z

EDIT 12.06 :

IT'S OFFICIAL !
as of today ....

more:
(The link is inoperative)

I agree that there should be some sort of standard set for texture locations. The folder mods/mapmods/maps/ seems to be the logical place for this. Rather than have many individual author folders with textures ordered by author name, would it be better to catagorise new textures as they are at present under a new generic authors folder. ie

mods/mapmods/maps/_text/authortextures/forest/summer/Sal_MySummerTexture.tga
mods/mapmods/maps/_text/authortextures/forest/autumn/Sal_MyAutimnTexture.tga
mods/mapmods/maps/_text/authortexurets/land/Pacific/Sal_MyPacificTexture.tga
mods/mapmods/maps/_text/authortextures/trees/Sal_MyTreeTexture.tga

sounds like a plan....
hopefully i'll be in a position one of these days, to make use of it.... Smile

Agreed. Good rule.

I prefer the option Fly_zo suggested but with a map related prefix in the final file name so that you can identify both the author or team and the map set the texture was created for.

Example: (for World War One Western Front Map)

...\MODS\MAPMODS\maps\_Tex\ WWI_WF\land\summer\WWI_Shellholes.tga

Grouping all the textures for a particular map in a single primary folder simplifies installation, especially for those who prefer to manually install everything.

I like the Idea...

Sounds like a good idea Smile

+1

asheshouse Wrote:I prefer the option Fly_zo suggested but with a map related prefix in the final file name so that you can identify both the author or team and the map set the texture was created for.

Example: (for World War One Western Front Map)

...\MODS\MAPMODS\maps\_Tex\ WWI_WF\land\summer\WWI_Shellholes.tga

Grouping all the textures for a particular map in a single primary folder simplifies installation, especially for those who prefer to manually install everything.

yes that is one way to have it .... the other would be one author's prefix folder and all maps as subfolders ...

like ...Maps\_Tex\fly_Z\ Bob ....
...Maps\_Tex\fly_Z\ Norway ....

both ways are ok with me ....

Z

+1

Either option works for me

GJE52

I always liked how The Slot map had its own folder with the copra.tga in it.

That is how I am doing mine.

I have about 30 new island/jungle textures with Vanuatu.

Also easier to put in the load.ini as well.

my example

Lowland2 kjd/island4.tga

Simple.

Cheers Fly-zo

A rule of naming the Mods folder should be made too.

like:

Ordering Number (if necesary)

Type (Textures, Cockpit, Gunsight, Fix, Plane, Effects, Utils, Objects, Arms, etc)

Name of mod (ex Cloudmod)

Quality (if necesary, hirez/lowrez or 1024/512)

Author

Version

And should look like this:

001_Cockpit_Hurricane_hirez_Avala_v2.0

This should reduce the apparent mess in the MODS folder.

Very good idea,will make it a lot easier to keep things more organized in the _Tex folder.
It makes sense also to try and keep any new textures created separate from the Org. game textures.

I like the way the Slot team foldered there textures as well as other map textures like dlv_Sinai,dlv_Philippines,grand_canyon,zip_Alpen and zip_Islands were foldered up.Any folder structure will be good as long as there named accordingly for author or map project to help keep them separated and organized.

Would also help if textures are used on another map,to be able to keep track and give credit to whoever created the certain textures.

Easy

I agree it needs organization.

I have already broken down the author textures that are not tied to a load.ini into sub-folders. I set up individual author name folders and put them in the _tex folder in mapmods.

This would seem more useful than the other ways suggested. For instance, map-specific folders will cause massive duplication. Imagine f you had a new folder for every map that Agracier makes, for instance?!

And just dumping everything in the general folders will cause these to become very large and make it hard to find specific textures when you are looking for them.

:wink: of course, I agree with you...

... but I think we need two more things :roll: :

1/ rules are usefull... only if people follow them... and I think we need to be a little bit more disciplined about following rules...

2/ I think we need also rules for objects and above all about naming rules when referencing in static.ini

Myself I'm involved in that aspect as I'm releasing some objects mods and I will release some others or updates.
There are more and more people who intend to make such mods.

So I'm afraid we will have quite soon a huge confusion in static.ini and conflicts between different objects released with the same name

So my proposal is : why don't we open a new forum dedicated to objects mods only, with rules, supervisor and submission before release ?

Another great advantage would be to have a central point for those mods so people wouldn't have to browse forums to find objects

I think AAA leaders should consider this suggestion and take some decisions. :roll: