NEW RULE... OFFICIAL AS OF TODAY !

delvpier makes a pretty good point there, as well... 8)

\MODS\MAPMODS\Maps\_Tex\ author\ map\tile name would work fine for me. That way they can be found easily whether you are looking for a tile from a specific mapmaker or map.

Whatever way, it has to be decided as soon as possible so we can all get used to it.

:cheers:

Good idea. Because this is THE big problem when it comes to new maps right now.

:roll: ... and what about existing ones...

Would we have to release updates according to new rules...?

delvpier Wrote::wink: of course, I agree with you...

... but I think we need two more things :roll: :

1/ rules are usefull... only if people follow them... and I think we need to be a little bit more disciplined about following rules...

2/ I think we need also rules for objects and above all about naming rules when referencing in static.ini

what are you saying .....

1 all rules are respected here ! .... but only for official map mods ( map d/l section) ... for beta mods
it's entirely up to the author though . I could restrict beta mods too but i bet you guys wouldn't like it ....

2 rule for new objects is here from day one m8 .... you must have missed the sticky thread ;-)

fly_zo Wrote:IF YOUR MOD CONTAINS CUSTOM OBJECTS :

object files

- place your objects into one unique folder and name it objects_"your prefix"

structure :

game root \Mods\ "name with prefix"\3do\....

example :
MODS\Objects_CAN\3do\Buildings\Airdrome\Hangar1_Camo

static.ini

structure:

\MODS\STD\com\maddox\il2\objects\static.ini

- each mod must contain readme file with clear instructions and needed lines ready for copy/paste

- lines for custom objects should contain author's prefix and should be separated from object data

example:

Code:
//===========================================================================
[***]
Title Objects_CAN
//===========================================================================

[buildings.House$AirdromeMaskingnet4]
Title           Airdrome_Maskingnet4
MeshLive        3do/Buildings/Airdrome/Maskingnet4/live.sim
MeshDead        3do/Buildings/Airdrome/Maskingnet4/dead.sim
AddHeightLive 3.1
AlignToLand 0
Body            WoodSmall              // FIXME: need special type 'Cloth'
Panzer          0.0001

dunkelgrun Wrote:\MODS\MAPMODS\Maps\_Tex\ author\ map\tile name would work fine for me. That way they can be found easily whether you are looking for a tile from a specific mapmaker or map.

Whatever way, it has to be decided as soon as possible so we can all get used to it.

:cheers:

oh it will get decided and active in day or so .... i just want that all modders get opportunity to speak their minds before my final decision

reg

Z

fly_zo Wrote:... cos of increasing trend having custom textures with each new map i was thinking to revisit mods structure :

so all custom textures should be placed in new folder with author's prefix in name ( example " dlv_XXXX )

example :

Code:
...\MODS\MAPMODS\Maps\_Tex\ dlv_XXXX\ whatever you like ...

load.ini :

Code:
[FIELDS]
LowLand0 = dlv_XXXX/whatever you like/Spain_Tex_Brown_120.tga
Lowland1 = dlv_XXXX/whatever you like/Spain_Tex_Brown_121.tga
LowLand2 = dlv_XXXX/whatever you like/Spain_Tex_Brown_122.tga
LowLand3 =  dlv_XXXX/whatever you like/Spain_Tex_Brown_124.tga

you can have new folder for each new map or place all your files in one folder ( one with your prefix)

I believe this will make easier for update and managing texture files locally

opinions please

Z

Absolutely agree m8 Wink

Cheers, Neil Smile

Quote:\MODS\MAPMODS\Maps\_Tex\ author\ map\tile name would work fine for me. That way they can be found easily whether you are looking for a tile from a specific mapmaker or map.

I completely agree to have an author's specific folder ONLY when an author create or modify a tile, but I don't agree to put the tiles in map specific folders because a lot of tiles are enough generic to be used in several maps (talking about my GW winter pack for example).
If a tile is really map-specific (for air-base...) I'd prefer that the map name appear in the tex name, no ?

I think I finally would be bored to navigate in too many folder and subfolders and subfolders, ....and so on.

...just my opinion :wink:

GilB57 Wrote:I completely agree to have an author's specific folder ONLY when an author create or modify a tile, but I don't agree to put the tiles in map specific folders because a lot of tiles are enough generic to be used in several maps (talking about my GW winter pack for example).
If a tile is really map-specific (for air-base...) I'd prefer that the map name appear in the tex name, no ?

I think I finally would be bored to navigate in too many folder and subfolders and subfolders, ....and so on.

What I said earlier.
:wink:

GilB57 Wrote:
Quote:\MODS\MAPMODS\Maps\_Tex\ author\ map\tile name would work fine for me. That way they can be found easily whether you are looking for a tile from a specific mapmaker or map.

I completely agree to have an author's specific folder ONLY when an author create or modify a tile, but I don't agree to put the tiles in map specific folders because a lot of tiles are enough generic to be used in several maps (talking about my GW winter pack for example).

I'll weigh in and say that having tiles in map specific folders, that are original to and created by an author for that map, makes sense b/c it allows them to be found more easily for use in later maps. For instance, if one was making a map of Cyprus, and seeing that there is a folder -tex/land/summer/Crete - one would know a map of Crete exists for which new original tiles were made, and one might say, "gee, let me go look at those b/c many probably will be relevant for Cyprus". If it was author specific one would have to be familiar with what maps the author made to know if the tiles might be relevant to a later map. -viking.

GilB57 Wrote:

well, you can have just one folder if you like ... Maps\_Tex"GW_asyoulike " or whatever your prefix is .... place there your texture files organized as you find best ( even with no subfolders at all)

I don't care how will you guys organize your files as long as they are placed in one new folder ( prefix in name )... i just don't want custom files placed in default folders anymore cos its getting rather crowded in there

reg
Z

OK, .... IT IS OFFICIAL ! ....AS OF TODAY

more:

(The link is inoperative)

thank you

Z

....and so it was written.... 8)

Quote:....and so it was written....

Blessed are the Cheese Makers. Wink

Cheers, Neil Smile