Changing the shallow water textures- it's possible!

the search tool is a powerful thing if used.

I am using default ones, but carefully applied in map C. Only them seem good enough for tropical islands and stuff.

[Image: 1-4.jpg]

[Image: 2-4.jpg]

[Image: 3-3.jpg]

Amazing detail there, Avala! Would you mind posting the relevant section of map_c so we can see how you went about that?

your beach sand texture looks like a dried river bed instead of a beach. it's probably a WIP texture anyway.

chas1963 Wrote:Interesting research you are doing...

I'm still hoping that this type of "work around" could lead to better "rice paddys". IMO the current way that the game represents flooded rice fields is insufficient in capturing an "Asian feel" in the game (maps).

How does it look with the field pattern underneath?

Keep up the good work....

Probably easier to accomplish with a decent rice paddies texture. Since its "land" and there's no surf, you don't need to use coastal or water textures or fancy set-ups. You just need something that's better than the default Asian tiles and dump it in an ordinary "lowland" or "midland" slot, or whatever.

Thrud Wrote:your beach sand texture looks like a dried river bed instead of a beach. it's probably a WIP texture anyway.

Depends on angle, lower you go, more realistic that looks (at least to me). Also depends on "Sun" angle because BumpH textures reacts on it very nicely. Shadows follows the sun, when you put acceleration at 8x you can see very clearly how it rapidly changes position. BumpHs also reacts on weather very good, on "clear" you can watch how its shining from the altitude and going to the worse weather it gets more dark. Interesting thing is at i.e. hazy or poor weather when you can have half beach under the cloud very dark and half in the sun almost glowing.

The angle of the dunes can be changed to follow the water and wakes of course but I have beaches on all four sides of the world so it's pointless.

Some "blocky" areas that you may see is because that area on picture (that beach) is actually very small so game renders textures by 200x200px, that I can't avoid. Don't watch that altitude from side, picture is taken from static camera which is much lower.

Will show map c in the morning, but it looks pretty massy :roll:

This image from another thread maybe can illustrate how beaches look from lower altitude, but it also depends on viewing angle. Of course, I am open for critics and suggestions (never saw tropical beach in-live I'm afraid Big Grin )

[Image: bumph1.jpg]

I haven't seen a tropical beach either, but this looks a lot like pictures I've seen from pine deserts, with the sparse (pine) vegetation without any grass.

I like the sand tile a lot..........

......... But hopefully Avala will round off the shape of his trees in the shots of the little bay into a more natural shape before he releases the map.
:wink:

mandrill7 Wrote:I like the sand tile a lot..........

......... But hopefully Avala will round off the shape of his trees in the shots of the little bay into a more natural shape before he releases the map.
:wink:

I would love that too, but I am afraid that is impossible. Little bay is too little (little less then 2km wide) so you can see pixels of textures. One square is 200 m.

Maybe if there is a way to blend textures more softly, but I don't know that. Would appreciate if someone knows something about that. :!:

Anyway here is map c in original size. Brush, erasing, blurring and sharpening (actually not much of "hand job") My idea was reef around island, and then easy fading towards the deep (done with gradient overlay) I succeed with it somewhere, but drawback is stuttering with shallow waters at water=4 setting, so I reduced it as much as I can.

[Image: map_c.jpg]

Island is about 7 km long and about 900 m in height.

[Image: ostrvo1.jpg]

[Image: ostrvo2.jpg]

Avala Wrote:Maybe if there is a way to blend textures more softly, but I don't know that. Would appreciate if someone knows something about that. :!:

Does adding an alpha channel to the layer help? I thought I read that somewhere. -viking

viking4570 Wrote:
Avala Wrote:Maybe if there is a way to blend textures more softly, but I don't know that. Would appreciate if someone knows something about that. :!:

Does adding an alpha channel to the layer help? I thought I read that somewhere. -viking

Not in this case, I am afraid.

mandrill7 Wrote:
chas1963 Wrote:Interesting research you are doing...

I'm still hoping that this type of "work around" could lead to better "rice paddys". IMO the current way that the game represents flooded rice fields is insufficient in capturing an "Asian feel" in the game (maps).

How does it look with the field pattern underneath?

Keep up the good work....

Probably easier to accomplish with a decent rice paddies texture. Since its "land" and there's no surf, you don't need to use coastal or water textures or fancy set-ups. You just need something that's better than the default Asian tiles and dump it in an ordinary "lowland" or "midland" slot, or whatever.

It is land, but its flooded land...a rice paddy looks like square (sort'a) lakes or ponds in a patch work pattern, but the texture and color of each square can be a little different.