Feedback on maps of U.S.

How do you guys feel about maps or certain U.S. coastlines? Mainly the east coast and Gulf coast where U-boats operated. I have started making one but some people I have talked to don't really think that these areas are worthy of an IL-2 map. Your thoughts please....

I started the map of the Northern Gulf Coast below a few days ago.....

Thanks,

[Image: Gulf.jpg]

East coast maps would be great. Especially around Norfolk VA and some of the other east coast Naval bases. In addition to the U-boat stuff, lots of training flights took place in these areas that might enhance campaigns.

Big Grin

Please do it!!

Most interested in exactly what you are workin on.
I'm working (started few days ago) on a Campaign where the first mission is happening on US soil. I've used Odessa as Charleston, with the big airfield nearby to "act" as Charleston Air Corps Base during 1932 as a scenario for an Air Show..

Will not tell what I'm planning with this campaign, but it will be worth, guaranted.

For sure, I would really like to see more US Maps. Expecially Pacific Coast...

Cheers

Stratodog Wrote:East coast maps would be great. Especially around Norfolk VA and some of the other east coast Naval bases. In addition to the U-boat stuff, lots of training flights took place in these areas that might enhance campaigns.

I agree Stratodog, the Navy bases would be an interesting addition to the game, If I decide to go with the Gulf map you will get NAS Pensacola the birthplace of Naval aviation. In addition to Navy bases there are also several old pre civil war era forts in the area that were equipped with shore batteries during WWII. I've seen some fort objects in the FMB but I don't know if there is anything that could be used to make this type of fort. The picture below is a google earth clip of Fort Morgan on Mobile bay.

[Image: ftmorgan.jpg]

Yea, southern Virginia, including the the southern eastern shore tip of MD, down though the Outer Banks of NC would be cool! Include the training/bombing ranges of Duck, NC and Stumpy Point, along with U-Boat activity off Cape Hatteras.

Also, southern FL would be cool from Ft Lauderdale, out to the Bahamas, including Bimini.

An Outer Banks map would be really cool too, since I live on the islands! Big Grin

Interesting concept- I always wish I had the skills to map make enough to do the Chicago area for Glenview NAS where many Navy fliers trained in Lake Michigan for later battles in Midway and the Coral Sea.

But hey- the east coast is cool too Tongue

Of course, Pensacola!! what a great idea.

Also, in terms of the Cold War, these maps might be interesting.

Greetings!

I'm all for maps of the US. In fact, I was going to suggest that someone make some.

While I enjoy history and historical accuracy, I also enjoy hypothetical situations, such as a carrier strike on the US mainland. It's the kind of scenario that only a game like this one can make happen, and I think US maps would be a great addition to the game.

Thank you all for your feedback, I feel a little better about doing something like this now. It's going to be quite a while before this thing is finished of course but I'm off to a pretty good start.

i would use it for training flights. i feel this is a great idea.
march to your own drumb if ever in doubt.
pd

Holy cow, this is something I could definitely use, east coast and gulf of mexico especially. (If you're planning on the gulf, that is)

Definitely looking forward to seeing these in the future Smile

Is it worthwhile? You decide that.
As for me, I love the idea. Could be the beginning of great campaigns.
Don't worry, there's lot of interest out here. Thank you very much!

US maps are a great idea!

One big thing though...it would need some new ground objects to truly make it seem like 1940s United States IMO.

Either way...I would really love to see it.

CUJO_1970 Wrote:US maps are a great idea!

One big thing though...it would need some new ground objects to truly make it seem like 1940s United States IMO.

Either way...I would really love to see it.

I agree on the ground objects, I've never tried creating objects but I'm willing to give it a shot. Or maybe somebody would help me out with it. Is there a tutorial on creating objects?