[REQUEST] [Central] Balkans Map

I'm not sure about the scale... I'd say either 1:1 or bust - Western Bulgaria (Makedonia and the Western Reaches, now Eastern Serbia too) is known as a "mosaic" type of terrain with very high mountains, deep river valleys and high hills - it would be nightmare too make it look even decent at any other scale.

About the mountains - Vitosha, the mountain just south-west of Sofia is predominantly green, with brownish, rocky highest peaks - and has a snow caps between mid-October and early-May (estimated). Stara Planina , the large mountain chain to the north of the city is more varied, with large rocky and forrest areas, as wel as snow in the higher parts during the colder months.

By the way, I don't know if Il-2 can pull this off, but the rivers flowingthrough Sofia are actually very small. Smile

Looks great, can't wait to see it finished!

PS. Title - maybe over the Iskar Dam and continuing to the right (east?)

Messer Wrote:By the way, I don't know if Il-2 can pull this off, but the rivers flowingthrough Sofia are actually very small. Smile

Rivers are a difficult thing to pull off well. You need to make them 3 pixels wide on the large My_mapc or else they end up as pools of water dotted along a landscape. But at 3 pixels wide, they flow as a continuous stream at least, but are a bit on the wide side ... but the when they end, it is not really possible to let them taper off ... they end in a half circle that looks like an inland bay almost ...

But I've not found any solution yet - aside from not blurring rivers and coastline, but that looks like a Cubist rendition of a landscape - all geometrical figures and shapes ... even worse.

I will like to have a bit part of Turkey and a bit part of Greece together with Bulgaria. Maybe you can reduce the three countries areas still keeping interesting terrain for a fight? Greece is not that important, place for a airfield and a town is good enough, but I need the turkish cities of Edirne and Kirklareli. About Bulgaria can be Burgas be in? or will make the map too big? The coast and a bit of sea will be needed too, supose that this is not a problem as you don't need to populate the sea.
Thanks Agracier, you really deserve a medal!!

RealDarko Wrote:I will like to have a bit part of Turkey and a bit part of Greece together with Bulgaria. Maybe you can reduce the three countries areas still keeping interesting terrain for a fight? Greece is not that important, place for a airfield and a town is good enough, but I need the turkish cities of Edirne and Kirklareli. About Bulgaria can be Burgas be in? or will make the map too big? The coast and a bit of sea will be needed too, supose that this is not a problem as you don't need to populate the sea.

Well, I still have to finish the first map of Bulgaria, though it is coming along very nicely.

Something more or less along the size of the red borders might be easier to get done ... and it reduces the land area by +- 50%, which makes it doable in a foreseeable time frame.

[img][Image: Burgas.jpg][/img]

Looks perfect to me. Will you be able to do it once you're ready with the first one?

RealDarko Wrote:Looks perfect to me. Will you be able to do it once you're ready with the first one?

Here's a very basic, but flyable map of this one. It has only one texture at the moment, no differentiated textures yet. That is for later. This is just to give an idea of how the landscape looks and how the rivers come out ...

I'd say, take a look and see how it feels. 18h and hazy is always a good setting for flying with single texture maps. Dusk gives a bit of relief to single texture maps ...

As for me, I really like the way the map feels. But it is a big map and will take time to finish. I'll make textures in the coming days and see about placing markers for cities and such.

It will be a big job to do alone, unless its a question of 6 months and such ...

But, and here's an idea. Working with Zuti's Actors Management Tool, I can now extract objects from a .mis file and later compile them into a map, so that they show up whenever a map loads. So, should anyone feel the urge to perhaps, build a particular city or an airfield for this map, you can do so by opening up this basic map, and building a .mis mission with objects from the FMB. If I have the .mis file, then i can extract the objects for the map ...

Just a thought.

Here's a download link for the basic map. It includes the one necessary texture to use the map. Just throw it all into your MODS folder and add the line for your all.ini. I am presupposing that you know how to install a map.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lqzyyt5tytx

The map size is perfect, really like it. About the textures, I believe a Bessarabia style tecxture set will be perfect for the map

Map is ready for download here:

viewtopic.php?p=258839#258839