[WIP] KTO Map Upgrade {Taking Requests}

I found a set of 12 coop missions on this map...and tried them out.
first mission i was shot down whilst attacking vehicle convoys and crashed into the sea...it left a crater and smoke and no splash!!!!???

fabianfred Wrote:I found a set of 12 coop missions on this map...and tried them out.
first mission i was shot down whilst attacking vehicle convoys and crashed into the sea...it left a crater and smoke and no splash!!!!???

Maybe it has something to do with a strange console Warning message concerning water that I am getting on this map. Here is the thread I posted about this issue:

viewtopic.php?p=254192#254192

However, I get the appropriate water splashes and no craters...Smile Then again, I haven't yet Indexed the map files like you have and maybe that is an issue?

Aviar

Aviar you are getting ahead of yourself.

The winter map has a known flaw that wont be corrected because it would cause alot of trouble. In the Winter KTO map the water acts as Ice, but I had it remain looking like water because the UN Navy opperated all throughout the Chosin Chrisis.

FabianFred,

Thanks for the Map Files. One of the files FabianFred gave me is a Map F for the KTO map. Aviar, this is probably going to fix your problem.

Pohang Airbase is Complete, here are some shots of it.

[Image: il2fb2009-10-2710-32-04-05.jpg]

[Image: il2fb2009-10-2710-32-39-16.jpg]

[Image: il2fb2009-10-2710-35-29-07.jpg]

[Image: il2fb2009-10-2710-33-51-30.jpg]

[Image: il2fb2009-10-2710-34-05-43.jpg]

[Image: il2fb2009-10-2710-35-05-29.jpg]

Wonderful map,I have flown it many times and I enjoy each and every minute on it,so I hope in no way is this to be taken the wrong way please.

It seems too me it is a bit unnatural looking with a summer texture for the airfield texture,I take it this would be because the same texture is being used for the winter map as the summer map has.
A new texture being created to be used in place of what ever texture is being used for the airfields,would add a dramatic immersion factor to the airfields.

I am not sure as I haven't looked at the load.ini to note the texture being used for the airfields,or have I looked through my IL-2 texture library for a suitable winter replacement texture(if one is available),for the airfield winter texture .So I really have no suggestion for a texture,but creating one would not take too much if one was not already available and/or suitable for an airfield winter texture.

Just something that comes to mind when I look at the pic's,thanks for taking the time to follow your map up and to actually ask for input from people ,
and I thank you for your initial map and look forward to whatever updates you implement into your map.

Thank's EasyR

Edit> I swapped the airfield textures to the MBug airfield textures that are in land/winter folder,the same folder all your winter textures come from and I get this using MBug's winter airfield textures.He has two of these textures in the land/winter folder,just for a quick look at the airfields covered with snow as well as the landscape.
[Image: il2fb2009-10-2709-59-07-38.jpg]

Glad to see you're doing a Phase 2, Dixiecapt!

Nice looking airfield. I think that should satisfy everyone. Big Grin

Link to my MEDIAFIRE downloads page: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=11eb9c2dafe61348e7c82ed4b8f0c380e04e75f6e8ebb871">http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=11eb ... f6e8ebb871</a><!-- m -->

Dixiecapt,
When having water acting like ice or ground (bombcraters and black smoke when crashlanding on water) you should change TEMPERATURE in the load.ini. Probably it's below zero right now.
I have had the same thing on the Archangelsk Winter map but after changing temp above zero it's over now.

http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/...c&start=45 (see Kapteeni's answer at 27th of Sept. 1:28 AM)

So I checked other wintermaps with water instead of ice and all temps are above zero.

Lejo

The Temperatures for the KTO Winter Map Will Not Be Changed.

The reasons for this is it will change Snow to Rain. Anyone building a Chosin Campaign, or any other KTO Winter Campaign might want Snow. (As I do.) It was common place for B-26's and various other aircraft, such as VMF-323's F4U Corsairs to fly through snow, even from jeep carriers.

I would rather have Snow and normal looking Oceans than Ice Oceans, or Rain. I had this talk with Fly Zo when first putting out the map and this is where we came to. It wont be changed.

Easy Rider,

I'll look into wintering up some of the AB Tiles, although I do have Photos of Kimpo having been cleared from most laying snow all the way up to its secruity fences

Yes I believe there would be snow removed when it snowed of course,but it would still look more wintery than looking south pacific even with snow removal happening.I still think it would look more natural with a wintry look to the airfields,but that is just MHO Smile

It was just a suggestion Smile

Dixiecapt Wrote:One of the files FabianFred gave me is a Map F for the KTO map. Aviar, this is probably going to fix your problem.

He sent me the same map_F.tga file. It did not stop the Warning messages. I'm not sure why you thought it would. All he did was convert the file format from RGB to Indexed, for the purpose of making the files smaller.

Sorry about the confusion earlier. Fred never mentioned he was using the winter map.

Aviar

Aviar, I'm sorry your having this issue. I talked to a few others whom aren't, and others whom haven't been able to give me a fix. So i'm just confused about what's causing that for you.

You've got my permission to start a thread for the problem in case that bring in new talent, or to ask around in other forums. Just let us know what you find if so.

In other news, I've layed out the foundation for Suwon Airbase.

Dixiecapt,

Well, I may have found at least a temporary solution, for me anyway. Maybe this can help you with your updated map(s).

Maybe you forgot, but I did post a topic about this issue about 10 days ago. One suggestion was that your map lacked a file called map_R.tga.

So today, I looked through all of the map folders and found four of them with a map_R.tga file. I made a copy of one and placed it in your KTO folder. Everything loaded fine and the Warning messages were gone. I flew around on the map and everything seemed normal.

The four maps I found the file in are:

IJ_Sakishima
LAL_Okinawa
vol_ItalyAfricaGreece
zip_Alpen

They are all 1.00MB in size, except for zip_Alpen, which is 256KB. (I used the 1.00MB)

I know you tried to find some information about this file, with no luck. My suggestion is to find the creators of the above maps and ask one of them. Since they included the file in their map, I'm sure they can give you the information you need.

In fact, if I have some time, I will try and contact one of them and ask them myself. If I find out anything, I will let you know.

Aviar

Hi Dixie, at first i love your map this is a great map but is it possible to make a 1/1 Mig Alley Map ? because when you fly a F86 it's really too quick to reach Yalu river from Kimpo.
For the hunters like me it would be really great.

That would require making a whole new map from scratch, so No. Your more than welcome to make a 1/1 Mig Alley map, I'd love to fly over it!

Below is K-13 Suwon AB (WIP)

I've got to do some runway repair, you can't see if from these shots, but there is a gap.

I have no idea if the Taxi WP's will work on Pohang or Suwon because they all deposit aircraft into the parking area's lined with sandbags. Its possible the AI will see this as a hazzard path and not take them. If so then I will have AI park in the fields around the taxiways.

[Image: 1-k13.jpg]

[Image: il2fb2009-10-2913-48-57-93.jpg]

[Image: il2fb2009-10-2913-49-28-18.jpg]

[Image: il2fb2009-10-2913-50-09-98.jpg]

[Image: il2fb2009-10-2913-51-11-19.jpg]

[Image: il2fb2009-10-2913-51-33-59.jpg]

Do all the winter airfields have the winter textures now? I think the snow look is a little better. Before, I was thinking the jet exhaust heat was melting the snow :lol: but it wasn't a big deal to me.

The parking waypoints for these last two airfields probably won't work if they try to park inside the sandbags area.
You could try to make them park on the taxiway in the middle of the sandbag parking areas though; one behind the other. There might be enough space there for the A/I to park.

Link to my MEDIAFIRE downloads page: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=11eb9c2dafe61348e7c82ed4b8f0c380e04e75f6e8ebb871">http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=11eb ... f6e8ebb871</a><!-- m -->