Shallow Water in Maps

I once saved a post that advised one could get shallow water by creating a layer with RGB value 40 and then placing it where one wished to have shallow water - for instance in rivers or near a coastline ...

I tried it and got a very different result - my water turned up full of trees and on the coastline where there was some overlapping no doubt, triangled roads turned up all over ... clearly not the result I was looking for at all ... ha ha

So my question is going to be the obvious - what did i do wrong, how do i get shallow water?

[img][Image: Shallow02.jpg]

[/img][Image: Shallow01.jpg]

Did you tried to put the term "fields" one the texture's name ?

redko Wrote:Did you tried to put the term "fields" one the texture's name ?

No ... I followed the example given in the post I saved. It said (as an example) to use this:

Water2 = water/CoastLine.tga

agracier Wrote:
redko Wrote:Did you tried to put the term "fields" one the texture's name ?

No ... I followed the example given in the post I saved. It said (as an example) to use this:

Water2 = water/CoastLine.tga

I had the same problem with Iwo Jima, some trees on the water. could be interresting for an amazona map :lol: .

Is your post still on AAA or you saved it and the link is dead...would like to see it.

Here's the post, or what i saved of it anyway ... you're right about it being somewhat interesting having trees in rivers for jungle areas ... I might even try it on this map, not on the coastline, but on inland rivers, or on parts of them anyway ...

"Add RGB 40 in your map T, at places where you want that shalow water to apear, and add line (Water2) for coastal water in load.ini, something like this:

Quote:
Water0 = water/water.tga
Water1 = water/water.tga
Water2 = water/CoralCoastLine.tga, - this is it
Water3 = land/summer/grnd/fields_proc013.tga

And bear in mind that water causes stuttering in low level flight above it. And you dont need to convert maps from RGB to greyscale and backwards, it can be greyscale without problems."

I'm going to hazard a guess here..might be talking out my butt though Big Grin.... 2 things...

1. the rest of the layer that you have your RGB40, is it RGB0? and
2. when you merged the layers did you use the "add" option.

I remember reading somewhere here at AAA (don't ask me where) that the best way to merge the layers was to use Gimp as it has the "add" option...I haven't been able to find it myself though :???:

Cheers

Quelty

I have been able to make water look shallow by changing the RGB value on Map_C
I can't tell you the numbers I used because the computer I was using for map making is bonked out and I can't remember. I was able to make a shallow coastline and shallow rivers.
As you know, in map_c the water value = 0
The value can be changed to any number as long as it is not the value for land (255?).

Link to my MEDIAFIRE downloads page: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=11eb9c2dafe61348e7c82ed4b8f0c380e04e75f6e8ebb871">http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=11eb ... f6e8ebb871</a><!-- m -->

Quelty Wrote:I'm going to hazard a guess here..might be talking out my butt though Big Grin.... 2 things...

1. the rest of the layer that you have your RGB40, is it RGB0? and
2. when you merged the layers did you use the "add" option.

I remember reading somewhere here at AAA (don't ask me where) that the best way to merge the layers was to use Gimp as it has the "add" option...I haven't been able to find it myself though :???:

Cheers

Quelty

hum it reminds me something....the topic was how to use gimp to create rivers or nagigable rivers i think.

Map_T has nothing to do with the shallow water. To add shallow water to maps, you have to edit the map_c. I had the same question awhile ago, and started a thread about tit. This should help answer your question:
http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/...hp?t=13422
Hope that helps Wink

here is another thread older than his
viewtopic.php?t=10197&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=thrud+reef&start=0

@Jaypack
i didn't realize you were local. we need to hook up and go flying. i fly out of Renton