Thread Closed

Map Modifying Discussion - History (Read Only)

Ok

Z

p.s. watch for DG or DCG compatibility if matter

Some more morning random thoughts: in the same way like painting new forest regions, we can paint industrial regions textures, village textures etc. For example I want a harbor somewhere, I pick the factory color and paint the shore with it at that spot. If I open the map in FMB, the texture will be there but there will be no industrial objects there.So I have to place those objects by myself and save as a mission (mission template).

About cliffs, it's possible I'm sure, but again with the rudimentary way we work now it would be a pain. An example how to do: take the normandy map and try to add cliffs to the little island. Open map_h, pick a colour which corresponds maybe to 20 meter elevation and paint with it the island up to the shore. This is tricky though, if you touch the water by the paint then the water will rise according to the paint height lol, pretty funny look. Say this is done, then open map_T and paint with a certain color just the shore region of the island. Again this is tricky, because you have to match WELL the border of the freshly painted island in the other map, map_h. Blind work, not easy.

Still there's the most important mistery, how we convert water to land and the other way around? Any ideas?

hi,

First we must find what actually defines shape of the map , i mean which file ? If its graphic ok than we are in busines but if is not.....

There is map_c.tga_table and i suspect that one defines shape but it isn't editable so ...

On the other hand there is map_F.tga (full?) wich i can't open but with 3dmax maybe ... must get me an 3d editor

Yes, but I can't find any candidate... if as you said there is such a readable candidate!
The .ini always uses:

[MAP]
ColorMap = map_c.tga
HeightMap = map_h.tga
SmallMap = map_M.tga
TypeMap = map_T.tga
FarMap = map_F.tga
ReflMap = map_R.tga

map_M I can't find in the directory. map_R I can't open. Also the names don't suggest what we look for. Hm, big mistery, Sherlock Holmes help us!

fly_zo Wrote:hi,

First we must find what actually defines shape of the map , i mean which file ? If its graphic ok than we are in busines but if is not.....

There is map_c.tga_table and i suspect that one defines shape but it isn't editable so ...

map_c that looks very weird!

The *.tga's that aren't openable/editable, it's the header that can't be read. whether there's some sort of encryption or the like is unknown. I have to do some research on tga's. Idea

The *.tgb's are tga's with a changed file extension. Irfanview will open these. Also some of the *.tga's that Irfanview won't open give the error that a Quicktime plugin for Irfanview is required, I have downloaded this but have yet to try it out. Possibly some form of animation, maybe something else.

I believe (would guess) that the Map_*.tga's when made, were actually quite larger than what we see, making them easier/more accurate to create and are then resized to the size we see now. possibly created with a vector type program (Illustrator/Corel Draw) rather than a raster program. (Photoshop)

I guess you guys have all the *.sfs files extracted to folders for viewing?

I do believe we're on the verge of a breakthough here :lol:

Cheers, Neil Smile

I hope we'll manage, thanks for sharing, and please post any map ideas or info you can think of (same request for everyone which is following this thread). Brainstorm!

Somewhat "OT" random info but: the objects and airfields which load on a map are stored in "actors.static". Unfortunately this is a cripted file, no chance to alter it unless some PC lunatic friend might be able to decode it. :mrgreen:

Neil Lowe Wrote:The *.tga's that aren't openable/editable, it's the header that can't be read. whether there's some sort of encryption or the like is unknown. I have to do some research on tga's. Idea

The *.tgb's are tga's with a changed file extension. Irfanview will open these. Also some of the *.tga's that Irfanview won't open give the error that a Quicktime plugin for Irfanview is required, I have downloaded this but have yet to try it out. Possibly some form of animation, maybe something else.

I believe (would guess) that the Map_*.tga's when made, were actually quite larger than what we see, making them easier/more accurate to create and are then resized to the size we see now. possibly created with a vector type program (Illustrator/Corel Draw) rather than a raster program. (Photoshop)

I guess you guys have all the *.sfs files extracted to folders for viewing?

I do believe we're on the verge of a breakthough here :lol:

Cheers, Neil Smile

@lowfighter.... check your mail m8 Big Grin

Z

Which I did and I can say the "new" Guadalcanal looks thousand times closer to the real life one! Big Grin

fly_zo Wrote:@lowfighter.... check your mail m8 Big Grin

Z

Big Grin
Z

Hey, Fly_zo and Lowfighter listen guys , like me there are many,many il2 gamers who are following youre findings on these interesting map mods, recently bought a 24 inch screen ,put lowfighters kuban mod on and.... this map is freaking awesome to watch!!! , now me like others don't have the technical knoweledge you both have [... realy envy you both for that ] but we understand when you say;... the "new" Guadalcanal looks thousand times closer to the real life one! ....plz give us screenshots ! ..or better give the new map!!!! [ he he I know I sound like a spoiled brat but this mod is next to the sound mod my favorite one and you two deserve credits for that...]

miker8 Wrote:Hey, Fly_zo and Lowfighter listen guys , like me there are many,many il2 gamers who are following youre findings on these interesting map mods, recently bought a 24 inch screen ,put lowfighters kuban mod on and.... this map is freaking awesome to watch!!! , now me like others don't have the technical knoweledge you both have [... realy envy you both for that ] but we understand when you say;... the "new" Guadalcanal looks thousand times closer to the real life one! ....plz give us screenshots ! ..or better give the new map!!!! [ he he I know I sound like a spoiled brat but this mod is next to the sound mod my favorite one and you two deserve credits for that...]

Ok,

For all pacific maps with new sand beaches ( like on pac. islands map) and more earthly riverbanks - mod has been sent to MrJolly and awaits for his approval .
If you like Guadalcanal with jungle near the seaside ( for now only around Henderson) PM your mail.
Must point that more Jungle has bad effect with DCG ( spawning vehicles inside Jungle)

thanks for kind words

Z

here is how it looks
[Image: new_guadal_01.jpg]

THX , Fly_zo , wil pm you....

some very nice screenshots, keep up the good work!

imho this ever growing mod library gives IL-2 another 3-4 years

vpmedia Wrote:some very nice screenshots, keep up the good work!

imho this ever growing mod library gives IL-2 another 3-4 years

Woow... when it comes from someone like you , Thank you so very much!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

~S~
Z
Thread Closed